News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956n Caddy Steering Box. Best place to buy?

Started by chstitans42, July 16, 2016, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chstitans42

Mine has developed a massive leak, and since I have already replaced the seal where it is leaking from, I figure I might as well replace it since it has tons of play. Anyone bought a box from rock auto ever? What other place is a good place to buy a box?
Thanks!

J. Gomez

Quote from: chstitans42 on July 16, 2016, 10:25:38 AM
Mine has developed a massive leak, and since I have already replaced the seal where it is leaking from, I figure I might as well replace it since it has tons of play. Anyone bought a box from rock auto ever? What other place is a good place to buy a box?
Thanks!

Ben,

Be careful when shopping for a new one the 1956 is a one-year only, some auto part places advertise them to fit 1956 but they are actually a 1959-196X or 1957-1958 which do not fit.

If I recall Chuck Dykstra run into the same issue on one of his ’56.

Best bet is to have yours rebuilt Lares Crop is one place or you can check with Power Steer Inc. they are in the Bid “D” area.

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bobby B

Ben,
  Go thru Rock Auto for the Lares rebuild. It's cheaper because they're one of their biggest vendors. I spoke to the people at Lares and they told me you get the same quality work no matter who you get it  thru, and they told me to go thru Rock Auto.  Believe it or not, it just cost more going Direct. I've had Lots of things done by them in the last 10 years with excellent results.They do top quality work and stand behind it. Good luck!
                                                                                                                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chstitans42

Hmmm, that means I need to yank the old one, and have the car out of service for what will probably end up being months... Need to find a core!

Bobby B

Ben,
  They have a very fast turnaround. Call them and ask. You can tell them that you're going thru RockAuto. They're cool with it. They have a reputation to keep up with RockAuto.
                                                                                                                                   Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chstitans42

Too bad I can't get a core for cheap. Seems like everyone wants an arm and a leg for them.

Bobby B

Quote from: chstitans42 on July 16, 2016, 10:20:03 PM
Too bad I can't get a core for cheap. Seems like everyone wants an arm and a leg for them.
Ben,
I feel your pain. I have a '47, and a lot of stuff is un-obtanium. Welcome to my World  ;D ;D ;D........
                                                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadman56

Many years ago I had Lares Corp. rebuild the box on my 56 convertible.  Dealt with them direct at that time, only $180 + freight.  Deal with them, you won't be sorry.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820