News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 Seville door control ID?

Started by mistertudball, July 17, 2016, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertudball

I was just flipping thru Hemmings and read an article about a '76 Seville and was puzzled by one of the photos.  On the driver's door, I see the power window controls, power seats, door locks, and side mirror adjuster but there is also a rather large black rocker switch.  What's that for?  All I can think of is a reading lamp but on the driver's side?  Just curious.
David Bartosic CLC19619

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I seem to remember that. Is that the actual door lock itself?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

mistertudball

The button just south of that looks like the power lock button.  Considering how Novaesque they were, I kind of chuckled when they first came out, but now am a tad smitten.  But as a daily driver and I'm not sure I could do that in the salty Midwest.
David Bartosic CLC19619

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Jeff is correct - it is the manual door lock. It was used instead of the conventional knob at the top rear of the door panel.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

mistertudball

Thanks.  I've never seen anything like that before.
David Bartosic CLC19619

TJ Hopland

Is the 5th window switch the passenger lockout?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TMoore - NTCLC

That must be an early conceptual image.  In all of my Sevilles, the 4 window switches on the driver's door panel are in a single block, not separated by that slight space in the image.  And yes, the 5th switch is the window lock-out, and it is separated from the window switches by the wood grain.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I agree it's a pre production image - probably from the 1976 catalog.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute