News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 1978 CADILLAC ELDORADO LICENSE FILLER

Started by dennisoates, July 20, 2016, 09:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

It fell into pieces while cleaning,  prob from the fuel leaking on it over the years. How are they attached , how don't see any mounting holes on the bumper? Is there a good aftermarket filler i should look at?
thanks again

TJ Hopland

Gas didn't likely help it but its mostly age.  They were made from a rubber like material that just does not last even under ideal conditions which most cars don't see.   New ones are made from abs plastic and usually take a bit of tweaking to fit.

They are usually called bumper fillers.  Usually sold in front and rear sets but some vendors will sell them individually.   That era I think the back is 5 pieces.   Around each 'fin', below each tail light and the center.

Its been a while since I messed with a later car but i think that center piece just kinda snaps into the tail light pieces.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joeinbcs

USA Parts Supply has these.
Easy to install:  http://www.usapartssupply.com/uploads/USA_PARTS_1971-1985_Cadillac_Catalog.pdf
Page 43.
Takes ten minutes to get it looking like new.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If it's only the gas filler flat piece, the replacement ones use double faced tape, I believe.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

joeinbcs

Nope.  It screws in just like the original.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

bill06447

The PO of my 78 Eldorado fabricated the center filler out of a sheet of galvanized steel. You wouldn't know it's not supposed to be that way unless you saw it next to another car. Guess he was tired of replacing it every decade or so