News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

v16 Spds BODY

Started by Cadbarry, July 20, 2016, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadbarry

Anyone know the origin of the BODY on this speedster. Dosent lk like a backyard build to me But IVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE.

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1930-cadillac-v-16-hotrod

Quentin Hall

There  trunk and opening is the roof and rear window from a late 30s sedan. Perhaps even a Sixty Special.  I suspect that the body is home/hand made.Fenders are original or at least modified original. Coolest hotrod in town for sure. I'd leave it as is. Could perhaps lose a bit of its historical charm once"over restored".
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Duncan Fox

Geez Q you have a sharp eye. I looked at this thing for hours and didn't spot that.  its almost there aye, needs side panels on the hood. Its not unlike a custom 16 project in Germany

http://www.weinberg-oldtimer.de/aktuelle-projekte/cadillac-v16-roadster/
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

Chris Cummings

Charles Dimmitt of California built that car in the 1940s.  The engine came from a Cadillac V-16, and he built a dry lakes racer around it with a Lincoln Zephyr for body parts.  Photo at the following web page:

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Charles_Dimmitt

Configured as a racer, it wasn't fast enough to set any records, so he rebuilt the car as a personal roadster.  Pretty high quality workmanship, even if he never really completed it.

Quentin Hall

Gotta say that German build looks nice. Are there any more pics of it completed?
How about some more pics on the Mann 34 recreation along the same lines as the Fran Roxas special.
Chip Foose will soon debut the 39 Sixty Special that uses the cowl moved rearward style.
Rik Hoving had a play with Chip's artwork to get it a little closer to how my 39 might look.

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

35-709

Last time I saw that car was during the 2013 Boston CLC Grand National, it was in the possession of member Dick Shappy in Rhode Island.  Much too crowded with other cars to get a good shot of it.  There is a history of the car on the internet someplace that I have read but haven't found it again.  Possibly in the Cadillac Database.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chris Cummings

Chris Milici of the New England Region did a fine pair of articles covering this car in the February and March 2012 issues of The Self Starter, with lots of photos.

Chris Cummings

Chris Cummings

Oh, and it runs.  Dick Shappy drove it from Warwick to Portsmouth, RI in 2011 to participate in a regional CLC meet.

Blade

Quote from: 35-709 on July 25, 2016, 09:18:09 AM
Last time I saw that car was during the 2013 Boston CLC Grand National, it was in the possession of member Dick Shappy in Rhode Island.

Looks like he's the one selling it, #11 on his list:

http://classiccars.ws/sales/

Appears to be a Mercedes front style fused with a Bugatti rear. Nice body work and looks like it survived in good shape.

Chris Cummings

The grille looks to be crafted from a 1933 Cadillac radiator shell.

Stinson

What type and make are those carburetors?
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Duncan Fox

Look like Stromberg 97's?
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV