News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New idea for hood insulation

Started by chrisntam, July 24, 2016, 06:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

For those of you who's car is missing the hood insulation, here's an idea....

:o

At least it's period correct.

:o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

I didn't think the green shag was available with the Guideomattic that year?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

In the late 60's//early 70's green shag was all the rage.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 24, 2016, 09:58:30 PM
Jeff

Even Green "Flock" Wallpaper  :o :o :o
                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Bobby B on July 24, 2016, 10:14:35 PM
Even Green "Flock" Wallpaper  :o :o :o
                                             Bobby

That would probably burn too!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Jon S

The purpose of the hood insulation is to suppress engine noise; but more importantly, the manufacturers switched to plastic retainers so they would melt in case of an engine fire and drop a flame retardant blanket over the engine to hopefully extinguish the fire.  It's a safety net.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

59-in-pieces

I have such bad eyes.
All this time, I thought that moss only grew on the north side of a tree.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dochawk

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 24, 2016, 09:58:30 PM

My house was built in '67 or '68.   Not only it, but the entire development was green.  I forget whether it was 1/3 or 2/3 of the block that were still painted green.

And when I say green, I mean the outer walls, the trim, the carpet, the kitchen appliances, the back patio, the shag carpets, and the linoleum.  Oh, and the kitchen cabinets and counters.

Now, we're down to the patio and countertops.  The patio will get blasted and painted (possibly green; it is surrounded by lawn), and the counter probably tiled over.

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Gene Beaird

Why mess with it?  It'll come back in style!  Our home was built in the mid-70's.  Before the remodel, the master bath featured an avocado green toilet.  We are still enjoying the harvest gold sink in our kitchen.  We're seriously-considering replacing it with a new version in the same color when we remodel.   ;)

But yeah, shag carpet for the hood liner is a bit much.  I'd also fear all the dirt and debris falling out of the 'liner' and onto the engine!!  What a mess that would make.

Quote from: dochawk on July 25, 2016, 08:53:52 PM
My house was built in '67 or '68.   Not only it, but the entire development was green.  I forget whether it was 1/3 or 2/3 of the block that were still painted green.

And when I say green, I mean the outer walls, the trim, the carpet, the kitchen appliances, the back patio, the shag carpets, and the linoleum.  Oh, and the kitchen cabinets and counters.

Now, we're down to the patio and countertops.  The patio will get blasted and painted (possibly green; it is surrounded by lawn), and the counter probably tiled over.

hawk
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

dochawk

I tell ya, there's really only so much green I can take.

Actually, the oven that came with the place was harvest gold, apparently replaced fairly early.

However, the tenants removed a plate, mice nested with the insulation, and we had to throw that one out . . . six months of a charcoal grill and toaster oven before we found a replacement . . . (which has since been replaced with a high end, 30" dual oven electric)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Gene Beaird on July 26, 2016, 11:53:23 AM
I'd also fear all the dirt and debris falling out of the 'liner' and onto the engine!!  What a mess that would make.

I wouldn't worry about that. It'll all burn away when that shag goes up.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373