News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Radiator Coolant/Fluid Change Process?

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 25, 2016, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

General question here about what you all do when replacing a radiator or hose or water pump. Basically anything where you need to open up the cooling system.  More specifically, what do you do about the fluid that wants to simply pour out all over the ground?  For an oil or transmission change you open up the drain plug and catch it in a funnel with a can and dispose of it at a garage or recycling center. Easy. 

But what about the mess of a hose change, etc?  Is it OK to let coolant go into the ground or is it toxic?  I know of the draincock on the radiator but thats still impossible to use and capture all the coolant.

Wanting to do the right thing here. What do you all do???

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jeff,

The green anti-freeze is definitely toxic to humans and animals if ingested. I would suspect the orange is to some degree also. It’s particularly important if there are animals/pets in the area as they are attracted to the sweet flavor of the fluid.  I usually will take something like this to a shop to avoid disposal issues. If you have to do it at home, get a large plastic tub, like a cement tub, to capture as much as possible. A mop up with speedy dry and a wash down should handle any spills. The problem then  is still what to do with the fluid in the tub? Most recycling centers will take labeled anti-freeze but I don’t know about coolant.

HTH 
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bobby B

Jeff,
Hi. The easiest way is to get a large flat pan and let 'er rip!  ;D ;D ;D. Just Kidding...... Some petcocks have a 3/8" or so hose tab on the end, so you can hook up a small hose and throttle it easily into a pan/ bucket. You can also just open the petcock easily and hold a funnel where it's going and direct it into a pan/bucket. You can also crack to lower hose and just tip it open on the bottom and let it flow out easier, but that usually gets misdirected, like pissing in the wind.....You have to get creative my boy! I'm no tree hugger, but please don't let it run out onto the ground. Not good for the environment, and I'm sure you already know that due to its sweet smelling nature, dogs might go for it and it will kill them. You can take it to the local auto parts store and they will recycle it for you properly.  ;)  Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                    Bobby

Ralph, Didn't mean to hijack your post. I was typing while you posted.........  >:D
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

76eldo

You need a coolant drain pan:

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-17952.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6819477&sc_intid=LIS17952&gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYoufYFcGcxRZOIKl1cKOs5Icdpnhnb8h53T1dbWm-sVhoCdH7w_wcB

Available at almost any auto parts store.

If you are dumping the old coolant you can re-pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and take it to a Pep Boys or similar.  If re-using it's not too hard to transfer this back into some gallon jugs.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

mikanystrom

Antifreeze is relatively safe to dump in a domestic (city) drain.  The bacteria at the sewage treatment plants love the stuff!

Don't dump it in a septic system though, unless you want to drink it in your well water...

And I don't really think it tastes that sweet... I always seem to get a taste of the stuff whenever I'm draining a radiator. 
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

Jeff Wilk

Thanks for the quick replies guys.  And thanks for the HEADS UP on the toxicity to animals.......I love my cars, but my dogs (and anyone else's) come first here.....

Brian, thanks for that link!  That's exactly what I thought must be out there but I could not find one.  All I found was the following or other versions at 2x  3x  4x 5x the price of this one......I really like it but for the occasional use can't see spending that kind of money.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623786_200623786

Ralph.....I agree with taking most of this kind of work to the "local shop".....but when the "local shop" has more work than bays or man power it's back to making some of these quick (but dirty) fixes on my own.  My local reclamation center is only 9 miles away too so dropping off the old fluids is not an issue.

Thanks folks!!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bobby B

Quote from: mikanystrom on July 25, 2016, 08:59:45 PM
Antifreeze is relatively safe to dump in a domestic (city) drain.  The bacteria at the sewage treatment plants love the stuff!

Don't dump it in a septic system though, unless you want to drink it in your well water...

And I don't really think it tastes that sweet... I always seem to get a taste of the stuff whenever I'm draining a radiator. 

Get caught dumping that in NJ, and you'll most likely wind up with a Hefty Fine...... >:(
How close is your septic to your well?  :o
I said smell, not taste.... :P 

;D  Bobby  ;D
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

gary griffin

As for draining if you are changing hoses anyway consider drilling a hole in one of the hoses in a location where the water will fall into a container.

As for toxicity consider dipping bread in it and placing the bread where pets can't get to it but rodents can. I hear rodents love it, and it is poisonous.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

55 cadi

Dont do as posted about dumping in drainage.

It is not good at all and in most cities it's illegal to do so, and for those who live near water like pacific, Atlantic and gulf the drain usually drain to ocean.

Being a retired surfer i didnt like being in hazardous water, and the rain washes things down further that just sat in drainage.

Animals also frequent drainages including domestic and drink the water, coolant causes crystallization in the liver of animals and its a slow painful death.

Jason :-*
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Scot Minesinger

Anti freeze was a problem in that it tasted sweat and was poison.  In or around the year 2006 it was manufactured so that it could not be ingested without making a mammal throw up.  The myth of the wife poisoning her husband with ice tee laced with antifreeze cannot happen anymore.  If your antifreeze is 2010 or newer for sure you don't have to worry about it being accidentally ingested because it tastes good. 

The best thing to do is find a parts store that takes if for recycling.  Our Advanced Auto parts store takes recycle for oil, trans fluid and antifreeze, so I buy all of those fluids from them.

Drinking water wells (modern, say 200 depth) are usually sealed and safe from contamination from surface waters, oil washing off road in a rain, septic fields and etc.  I may have known people who have been dumping my antifreeze in the septic system of a house for 27 years.  You don't want to drink human waste either, and that is the whole purpose of the septic field and modern sealed well.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I have lived in cities where their 'recycling' sites said you could just dump it down the drain but that does not seem to be common anymore, guessing to do with changes in the typical antifreeze and maybe with how the treatment plants work?

Just because of all the hassle and unknowns I just find a coupon and take it to a shop.  I usually tell em don't do any sort of chemical treatment.  Sometimes they get all confused and say its included in the price I say fine I will pay the regular price just don't use it. 

The trick with most of the city/county hazardous drop off sites is stuff has to be in the original containers.   If you buy the 50/50 pre mix you should be fine but if you are mixing it yourself you won't have enough empties.   It just takes all the fun out of trying to do things right when they hassle you because a label fell off.   They can also be a pain if you just build up a few months worth of fluids and take it all in at one time.   Every time I ask them to show me in their handy dandy handout that I have in hand from past experience where it says there is a limit, there isn't for residents.   Grrrr.   That is one reason I don't come in after ever oil change, they make it a hassle and they wonder why you find the crap poured on the ground and in ditches and other peoples dumpsters.   One of my part time jobs people dump crap on the property all the time and the stuff is impossible to get rid of.   Volume is too small and inconsistent for a commercial service to come get it and the city/county won't take it because its a business for any price.    A lot of cities / counties do have a one time per year clean out day or weekend where they relax the rules a little so other than the possible lines that is usually the time to get rid of stuff. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

55 cadi

Scot,

That is incorrect,  i work with a vet and a pet rescue group and the cats and dogs still get sick from it and still causes liver damage and death, this is from the vets that do surgery and autopsy on the animals when unknown death.

Whoever or where ever you read that is false,  maybe an Eco friendly coolant may not but all other still cause problems for animals.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Glen

Most cities have a website where they explain how to dispose of all waste.  The city where I live says to put antifreeze in an absorbent and put it in the trash.  YMMV 

We have an electricity generating plant here that is fed by burning the residential trash.           
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

chrisntam

Why is this thread force me to scroll left & right to read it?  It's a pita to do that for each reply.........

I take my used coolant to the local city recycling center, used to, back in the day, (when I was 18) let it roll to the storm
drains after thoroughly adding water from a garden hose to it.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Glen on July 26, 2016, 02:01:33 AMThe city where I live says to put antifreeze in an absorbent and put it in the trash.

That is how they word it?   An absorbent?  Like kitty litter?  Rags?  Seems like a lot of material required if you were to do your whole 4-6 gallon system?   

Glen

Here are the directions for “absorb and trash”.  Yes, that could be a lot of kitty litter.   Saw dust is a lot lighter and I think it absorbs more per cubic foot.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   I had to look up 'oil change box'.   I wonder if that is a new up and coming thing?