News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pump to remove gear oil in Differential ?

Started by Scott Halver, July 26, 2016, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello,  Has anyone found a reasonably priced pump that will suction-out the gear oil for differentials ?    SHalver CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gene Beaird

Has anyone used the drill-operated pumps?  They seem cheap, albeit prone to breakage.  You'd have to mod it to fit smaller than water hose-sized tubing, but at $8-$20 may be worth a look.

Flotec FPDMP21SA-P2 Self-Priming Drill Pump

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

savemy67

Hello Scott,

I have owned a simple suction gun for decades, and it still works.  It functions similarly to the one in TJ's post.  It is a simple device.  Whether you use a suction gun, or a drill operated pump, you will probably never get a differential bone-dry without removing the carrier or cover (depending on type).  It is important to measure the amount of oil you remove from the differential so that you can replace a like amount and/or adjust the fluid level as needed.  I think this is better accomplished with a manually operated suction gun.

My gun is similar to the one pictured here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tools-suction-gun-w54220/9240026-p?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_214327102_g_12425515822_w_pla-61865531738_h_9007919_ii__d_c_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201684_f_online_o_9240026-P_z_US_i_en_j_61865531738_s__vi__&utm_source=ACQ&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_content=shoppingcampaigns&gclid=CLWFtuDVlM4CFdgNgQodoCwMoQ

Repsectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

David Greenburg

I have also used a hand operated suction pump for years.  Originally got it to empty the oil filter canister on my '59, but I've used it for all kinds of stuff.  Cheap, too.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/plews-30-118-gun-suction/?gclid=CMDI5_2nlc4CFYiBfgodvucKSQ
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

I have one like Christopher and David mentioned, it may even be the Plews brand one and almost never use it for sucking.   Sometimes I will use it for filling but even that gets messier than it should be.   Maybe mine isn't an Plews one and that is why its leaky?  I remember using one in a friends shop that worked great so that is why I bought it.

For sucking the liquicav works well and for filling I get the pump top that screws into the top of the bottles with the hose attached.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scott Halver

Hello All, I think the drill operated pump may be the way to go for me (didn't know they existed).   Performance Tool has one but you have to be a wholesaler to buy directly from them.......... so I will find one of their drill operated pumps at a vendor.   Thank You for the comments..........   am off running in the right direction.    SHalver CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350