News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac selling on line and other means not working.

Started by Scot Minesinger, July 27, 2016, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Trying to sell Cadillac cars and parts on the most popular on line auction web site and no success.  There are these 12 year (guessing) scammers that bid up the price with no intention to buy.  I'm talking people who joined yesterday and bid $3,000 for a $1,900 reserve item.  It is sport to them, and they can easily establish another identity every day and put in multiple bids and have their friends sell stuff for a few dollars and make a 15 transaction record with 100% positive feedback.  I have lodged my complaints sternly and forcefully in e-mails and voice communications and maybe it will help-but I doubt it.  This type of business management increases their revenues and is fun for the scammers, but it hurts the on-line traders trying to honestly buy and sell.

My question is what is the medium used to sell cars and parts besides of course this forum?  Small used car dealers please chime in here.

The popular service that ends in "list" is no good, as no one ever has contacted me and it is so broad there is no finding anything specific.  I could offer my house for sale @ ten dollars on that service and it would not sell. Plus it has not proven to be very safe.  I usually photograph any lower priced vehicles with my Crown Vic Police Interceptor in background so buyers may think that maybe law enforcement resides in same house as owner of vehicle.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Caddyholic

ever try hemmings or bring a trailer. The list is ok just meet at a public place.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Scot,
I've seen pictures of your garage. To make you feel better, I would happily pay $10 for your house.
However to keep me out if trouble, please tell my wife I only paid $9.50.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

savemy67

Hello Scot,

I actually prefer Craigslist over eBay (even though the latter owns the former).  It sort of reminds me of doing business in a more old-fashioned way.  For the moment, there is no additional economic burden involved in using Craigslist, which to me reflects the essence of trade - a voluntary, mutually beneficial transaction between two parties.

Of course, the Internet being what it is, there is no lack of stupidity when it comes to Craigslist - mis-identified items, sellers not responding, and the unfortunate criminal action from time to time.  But I have had good luck with Craigslist both buying and selling.  For me, patience is the key, coupled with a good intuitive sense of the party with whom you are dealing.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

gary griffin

BAT  Bring a trailer is interesting and if you send them the information they will also feature eBay posts in their daily news. Lots os interesting Cadillac postings from BAT registrations and eBay.

I hope helping someone find something is not breaking any rules??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Cadillac Jack 82

Scot,

I'm in your area and Ive never had issues selling stuff.  What are you trying to get rid of?  Maybe I can help
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

chorusguy

That is unfortunate.  Although I don't buy on the "E" one that often, I have never had a bad deal other than a case of buyers remorse.  As far as Craig's goes, I buy tons of stuff on that and have never had an issue.  I bought my suburban, two trailers, and several garden tractors with no problems.  I'm sorry you are having a problem.  Not to hijack the thread, but the biggest internet hassle I have experienced with trying to buy a car is old or expired ads still in existence.  On some of the site's, you can see when the ad was posted.  Some say "more than 4 months ago".  Others, there is no way to see how old the ad is.  It would be great if the whole car/parts process could be cleaned up somehow.  Just my evening rant.

Good luck with your quest.  Keep us posted.

Robert W Cox

Scot Minesinger

sounds like there are no alternatives I overlooked, will just try a different approach.  This will not beat me, and I will sell my stuff.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Welcome to the world of retail sales.  ::)

Just be patient - the right buyer will come along. Reporting non payers is all you can do and move on.

Happy selling.  8)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

B Garrett

The monthly magazine published by the CLC has a classified section. Good target market for Cadillacs and parts.

Bill Garrett
BGarrett  
CLC # 26753
76 Eldorado Convertible
2007 DTS

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
I'll top Jeff's bid and go for $15.00.
Seriously though as Eric says, just have patience.  After all the world is not full of buyers for our "things".  You have to wait until someone is looking for just what you have (advertised).
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillac ken

e-*** is increasingly difficult to use and has become a classified ad site. Very few items are listed with no reserve.  Most are either started off at a price so high nobody bids, or the reserves are set so high that bidding ends quickly when buyers begin to see the seller has a ridiculous reserve set.  True, uncorrupted "auctions" are rare anymore.  Sad that it wasn't that way when it started.  I remember buying some really nice parts for a decent price when that site started out years ago.

As for problems for sellers... I find the specific "searches" i enter are anything but specific. Putting in for instance "1958 Cadillac parts" will return an incredible amount of unrelated items from, most recently, Trump 2016 t-shirts to a steering wheel for a jeep so long as the ad poster includes ("fits 1958 Cadillac")-- not to mention a ton of new parts available from your local auto parts stores that are listed that do not even relate to a 1958 Cadillac.  I have to believe that cannot help with folks who have legitimate parts listed for sale at legitimate prices.  For me, I check who's bidding if I'm interested in an item.  If I see a bidder with 100% activity with the seller and no other history, well, that's pretty easy to see fraud there.  I don't even bother bidding.

Sadly, there are simply not many options out there.  I too have had good luck with cra****list, but admittedly, as a buyer.  As a seller I haven't done much.  But what I listed has sold.  Yet I have to agree if you have specific parts for old Cadillacs, it may not be the venue.

Hemmings is good.  And of course, the Self Starter (as already mentioned).

I often wished I had the resources ($$$) to start an old car parts mart of sorts--- a carefully monitored, well organized, and productive place for only folks that are members of their marks' sponsored club could participate.  Perhaps that could curb the rif-raft!

... dream on, i guess

INTMD8

I sold a vehicle recently on bringatrailer.com  I like their platform. Reserve is not revealed (whether there is one or if it is met), bidders have to put a deposit down to bid so everyone is serious (none of the  "my son bid on it and I didn't know" bs) and bidders can comment on the auctions.

Also had to sell my Brougham unfortunately and it was paid for within 24hrs of listing it on ebay.

wrefakis

eric I am sure you will agree a good car priced right will always sell!

Caddyholic

If you add -fits to the search it filters out most of the fuzzy dice, curb feelers and stuff like that.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on July 28, 2016, 11:17:55 AM
Scott,
I'll top Jeff's bid and go for $15.00.
Seriously though as Eric says, just have patience.  After all the world is not full of buyers for our "things".  You have to wait until someone is looking for just what you have (advertised).
Greg Surfas

I'm good for it tho, Scot. You never know, Greg could be another hi bidder/non-payer!! 😀
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

D.Yaros

While I have never bought a ride from this site, I have visited it many, many times to get a sense of the market, and have found Cars On Line to be a credible resource.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/cadillac.html
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

tripwire

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 27, 2016, 02:20:38 PM
I have lodged my complaints sternly and forcefully in e-mails and voice communications and maybe it will help-but I doubt it.  This type of business management increases their revenues and is fun for the scammers, but it hurts the on-line traders trying to honestly buy and sell.

Scot,
I hope in addition to sending your complaints to ebay you are submitting requests for listing fee and selling fee credits.  It's a bit of a pain but at least you recoup some money.  Too bad there's no time lost credit. 

Have a look at these links...

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?query=94&topicName=Credit+for+item+that+was+not+paid+for&st=6&levelHierarchy=4a3a2

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?query=1474&topicName=Buyer+didn%27t+pay+%28unpaid+item%29&st=6&levelHierarchy=5a2a1

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: INTMD8 on July 28, 2016, 01:39:55 PM
I sold a vehicle recently on bringatrailer.com  I like their platform. Reserve is not revealed (whether there is one or if it is met), bidders have to put a deposit down to bid so everyone is serious (none of the  "my son bid on it and I didn't know" bs) and bidders can comment on the auctions.

Also had to sell my Brougham unfortunately and it was paid for within 24hrs of listing it on ebay.

What???????? You sold the 58???????  Noooooooo!!!!!!!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

55 cadi

I have been purchasing Cadillac parts for almost 2 years on E*** place! and I have always had good experience.

I get parts for a great price, just have to look and search different ways, the sellers that have a reserve i dont buy from, there price is usually ridicules.

Only had 1 problem with purchase on E***   Wanted shift lever and turn lever, had to buy whole steering colum which was only $45 with all the insides, lever i bought for came broken due to packing, they refunded it all and had me keep the item, great seller, i offered partial refund he said keep it.

So there are good parts and deals there, and as mentioned by others, look at seller and bidders.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville