News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil change frequency

Started by LenInLA, July 27, 2016, 03:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

How often do you change the oil? I probably put under 2000 miles a year on my 1976 Eldorado- but throughout the whole year (California weather). Would every six months be adequate?

Leonard Grayver

dadscad

Every 6 months with filter would be adequate if using regular motor oil. The reason being, the additive package that protects against corrosion will deplete with time regardless of mileage. Short low mileage run durations are considered sever operating conditions for your motor/car.
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

jsanford

Every six months with that kind of mileage is more than adequate. Once a year would be more than reasonable.
When the car was new it probably called for 5k mile interval, and oils have just gotten better since then.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

TJ Hopland

My opinion is unless you are doing mostly really short trips or lots of parade duty that once per year would be plenty.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

Depends a bit on the mileage and how its stored.   If it's been freshly rebuilt and not showing any signs of excessive wear, garaged, then yearly is adequate.   You still have to get the combustion products out periodically, so don't extend.
If it's original high mileage, sludged up from sitting, and outside then I might do more frequently.   
You should also start it once a week or so to keep it lubed up.   The oil drains down and causes excessive wear on starting.   So don't rev it up until it's reach temperature.   A common problems is impatient revving the hell out of them cold on starting.

cadillac ken

Even with the Synthetic oil Porsche recommends once a year for those that do not drive their cars regularly.  The idea is that short runs, and short run times, encourage condensation build up in the engine.

I only mention Porsche as they are very concerned about wear on a high performance engine.  If it's what they recommend than I have to believe it's good advice for our old Caddy's.

chrisntam

I do mine once a year.  If it hasn't been started in a couple of weeks, I'll crank it over prior to hitting the gas, that way, when it starts, it is already "pre-lubed".
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: fishnjim on July 28, 2016, 10:19:28 AM

You should also start it once a week or so to keep it lubed up.

With all due respect, I totally, completely DISAGREE.
All you are doing is introducing moist oil into the engine. It will speed up corrosion. If you cant get it hot enough to burn off the water in the oil then dont start it. Also, prelube or not, starting an engine is one of the worst thinga you can do to it.
As far as frequency, why just once a year? What's an oil change, $30 bucks? Do it at least twice a year. What can it hurt?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Maynard Krebs

I have to agree with Jeff Rosansky here:  do NOT start up a stored car periodically.. like during the Winter.   It does not help.

If you're really concerned about oil drainage off the cylinder wall, then I suggest you remove the plugs and squirt a little 10W motor oil inside each cylinder.   Let it sit for a couple of days... turn it over a half-revolution BY HAND.... and then, after waiting another 3 days, THEN start it.   Sure, it'll smoke for a while.... but your cylinders will have confirmed lubrication.   It may already have enough without this process; but, if you're worried, then do as I suggested.

This is tedious... but once a year, in the Spring, such will provide you with additional confidence.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest thing that concerns me with this procedure is that whilst turning the crankshaft by hand is that there is no lubrication going to the bearings.   The bearings have to drag the pistons up and down and dry running bearings is not good for their life.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Guess you would need one of those pressure tank oil systems like some race cars have where you fill the tank with the engine running then close the valve before you shut down.  Before you next start you open the valve to release the pressure and that pre oils the engine before you start.

Another thing periodic starting but not fully warming up and exercising is hard on is the exhaust systems.  The condensation builds up then just sits because you don't have the heat and flow to dry it out.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

To this question, two changes a year is right, and don't let it get past 2k miles on same oil.  I drive one of my 1970 Cadillacs about 3,500 miles per year, say 3-20 mile trips in summer and once a week during winter.  The other Cadillac is about once a week and say 1,000 miles per year.  Generally the oil is changed in the middle of the season and in the middle of winter.

It is best to drive your Cadillacs as often as you can, at least once every two weeks would be the limit, and for at least a half hour of road travel each time to get engine thoroughly warmed up.  Usually try to get several long highway drives of 100 plus miles too.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty