News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Two Classic Cadillacs Appreciated

Started by Cadillacfan16, July 28, 2016, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillacfan16

Considering a very clean 1985 Cadillac Seville, low miles, great condition, late 85 manufacture date, all maintenance records (50k)

Or  1977 Eldorado (not Biarritz), sunroof, great shape and well maintained,

Which car would a Cadillac owner and fan recommend to a new-to-Cadillac
Owner?   

Car would be used for light travel ( maybe once a week about 100 miles) and as a local weekend cruiser on pretty days.
Ideally, I'd love to visit family (two states away) for the holidays in a classic Caddy.   

I'm one who maintains my car.  I want a Caddy because they remind me of
happy times and younger days -  and they are beautiful.   

Thanks for your insight.  👍

D.Smith

Run fast from any 1982+up with the HT4100 motor. That is in the 1985 Seville. 

So the 1977 Eldorado is your best choice.   It has a good, cast iron 425 cu.in motor.

76eldo

No question in my mind, the '77 Eldo.  I have owned and driven them all, and it's a much better car for your intended use.

You haven't mentioned the prices, conditions in detail, colors and options, so you will get answers here strictly on mechanical reliability and longevity.

They are completely different in every way but as an experienced Cadillac owner and driver I would go with the 77 Eldorado.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

If those were your ONLY two choices, hands down, any day, all day the 77 Eldorado.  There are only two types of HT4100's that the Seville (and other Cadillacs so equipped) out there - ones that have failed, and ones that haven't failed yet.  Plus, even when they work well, they are severely underpowered and the car has a hard time getting out of its own way.

Now, if you're thinking late 70's two door as indicated by your 77 Eldorado on the list, another good bang for the buck would be the 77-79 Coupe de Ville.  RWD, bulletproof platform, and an all around very drivable car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cadillacfan16

Thank you for your responses.   I love the 80's Eldorado and Seville, but I'm not a mechanic and not wealthy enough to pay one often.    I'm trying to let go of
this dream. Lol

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As Dan said,  RWD 77-79 DeVille w/4bbl will likely be less expensive to maintain than either of the other two options.

Under no circumstances would I ever consider any HT4100 powered Cadillac. While some owners have obtained good service with the engine, the price differential between a 4100 and a 425/368 car is negligibly small for the tremendous improvement in longevity and reliability, not to mention performance & enjoyment.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

64\/54Cadillacking

Definitely the 77 Eldo, plus it looks way better IMO. 80's Cadillacs for the most part had too many mechanical issues, but the 70's and even into the late 70's models were still very good cars.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Cadillacfan16

chrisntam

Two states away like Texas, New Mexico & Arizona or Vermont, New Hampshire & Rhode Island?

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Good point, Chris.  On my way south, I can blow through Maine in 5 hours but only 15 minutes through NH on I-95, so yeah, it's all relative.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cadillacfan16

In Louisiana.     Car is in southern Florida

Gene Beaird

So, a LONG day's trip, or leisurely two? 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

What got those 2 cars to the top of the list?   It looks like you are not limiting yourself to close to home and they are different enough that I would not normally expect them both to come up in a search.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

66 Eldo

I agree with the 1977 as the most reliable choice, HOWEVER, it sounds like the OP prefers the style of the later Seville and Eldos.

How about a 79 or 80 Eldo or an 80 Seville? Still not as good as a 77, but No HT4100 engine in those years.

Scot Minesinger

Agree with all other posts, even if the 4.1 engine powered Cadillac was free and delivered to my house with a full tank of gas, I would buy the 1977 Cadillac w/425 engine.  The reason you are buying this car is for enjoyment, and the 4.1 is a strong source of misery.  The 4.1 is timed with a calendar 0-60mph, it is very unreliable, and cannot be worked on (remove head bolts and aluminum block might break) sometimes.  The 4.1 throttle linkage (full throttle at 1/3 pedal travel) was set up along with gearing to make it relatively decent at speeds 30mph and less, so at speeds above that it is a major dog.  Do not buy a 4.1 power Cadillac, especially if you are not a mechanic. 

The only reason I would buy a 4.1 powered Cadillac is if I was going to change the engine out because the rest of the car was so nice, but that is a job to get everything working - not really worth doing.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on July 29, 2016, 08:19:27 AM
Good point, Chris.  On my way south, I can blow through Maine in 5 hours but only 15 minutes through NH on I-95, so yeah, it's all relative.

Gee, I can be in two other states within half an hour or so (but not anywhere useful). 

I could also drive north for almost ten hours ere hitting the state line . . .

Probably 15 hours or so to the northern border of CA . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)