News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need urgent recommendation of a good mechanic in Chicago

Started by Oz Power, July 30, 2016, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz Power

Hi all.  I have shipped my 1960 caddy convertible to Chicago to do the mother road trip of Route 66.
Unfortunately when the car got delivered yesterday the transport driver noticed a brake fluid leak on the inside of the rear drum backing plate.
Not a good start to a potential 3000 mile journey...

I need to take the car on Monday to someone in Chicago who will know how to carefully take a look at this and possibly repair it before my journey on Wednesday. 

Any recommendations or contacts would be appreciated .

Thanks Joe

V63

Damage to the brake line can easily occur if the car is incorrectly or carelessly bound down during shipping.

otherwise...The probability is a wheel cylinder is leaking.

I would check your brake fluid (from the reservoir) to start.
You could use a clean turkey baster from a $1 store. If it is cloudy, murky  or dark you are forewarned of future system issues. Brake fluid is clear when new.

An old car with one leaky wheel cylinder is like an old house with one mouse. If the fluid is ugly, its best to do all (complete) wheel cylinder assemblies and master cylinder...I'd do the hoses too. If you are in a hurry dont buy cylinder rebuild kits, (just the rubber parts and spring) its likely that the cylinders are not rebuildable anyway.

You could get away with keeping the friction before the trip if they appear serviceable and not contaminated with leakage.

Good news is drum brakes do not require any specific knowledge of a 1960 cadillac. Any accomplished 'independent' brake shop should be able  to help you.

I say 'independent' because the chain outfits will require rebuild of the whole system with parts they source. 

Best case, With all the parts in hand... you should be able to get the hydraulic system rebuilt in just under  3 hours. 

76eldo

Not all needed for this car.
I've worked on this particular car and the brake fluid is clean.
This may be a sudden occurance on one wheel cylinder.
I'd agree to replace both rears as a pair but the fronts are fine.

If the brakes were not recently gone obedient fee with your assessment but I know that the hoses and lines are good.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

the probability could shift to shipping damage during securement of the car onto the transporter? I've seen lines squashed completely closed before.

76eldo

I watched the car get loaded.  It went into a one car enclosed car trailer.  I think it's just a sudden failure of a wheel cylinder.  Joe will have to find out when the car gets looked at in Chicago.

Luckily, if it's a rear cylinder, they should be readily available.  The fronts are harder to get.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

All the hoses and calipers on my 79 have been REPLACED TWICE
since it was new.  No they didn't fail, that's the idea.  I would consider
that the minimum level maintenance on a single circuit brake system. 
100% of the metal lines have been replaced with non corroding
metal as well.  Bruce Roe

Hammer150

Pro-Car Tranmission, 708 499 0710.
Evergreen Pk. Ill. all they work on is classic cars , they wont hurt you in the billing dept. and they have a good reputation.

Hammer150

Or reach out to the guys from the West of the Lake Cadillac Club, Im sure they can put you in the right direction.

Oz Power

Thank you all for your advice.
I the problem ended up being rear brake cylinder leaks .

The car has been fixed and we successfully drove from Chicsgo to Pontialc IL on route66 without a hitch.

It's great to have members respond to requests like this as its a long road trip and problems do occur from time to time.

Thanks again everybody...

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

Fairlane Auto turned out to be a great choice.  Thanks for the recommendations here and on the 59/60 Facebook page.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv