News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is this 1933 Color?

Started by Vince Taliano #13852, July 31, 2016, 10:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Taliano #13852

Posting on behalf of Reggie.  Please contact him directly with any suggestions.  Thanks!

Hi Vince,

I need to finalize the color I plan to paint my '33 Caddy currently under restoration.  I want to paint it a medium color of blue and would like to use a color original to the '33-'35 era.  I found a picture of a '33 cabriolet on the Internet that I like, but have no way of determining the name of the color I see.

I'm attaching a copy of the picture in hopes you or one of the club members recognizes this color and can help me with the name and current day paint code.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Reggie Black
Mooresville, North Carolina
1sweet60@roadrunner.com
704-562-4665 
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Warren Rauch #4286

The Cadillac blue colors for 1933 were all dark to med Blue. From a Murphy Varnish Company book 1932-36

Combination   Upper &           Roof         Fenders         Striping             wheels
                           lower Panels   reveals     Chassis

1          Classic Blue  classic Blue   Black             Tokio Ivory        black or
                                                                                                            tokio Ivory

23        Falence Blue  falence Blue  Falence Blue  white        storm cloud
                                                                                                                 blue

20        Storm Cloud    Storm Cloud  Storm Cloud  cheruit     Cheruit
                           blue                   blue              blue         Vermilion   Vermilion

26        Dynasty Blue   Edgewater    edgewater     tokio         Dynasty
                                                   blue             blue              ivery            blue

Combination 1 is from the conservative color group for sedans
  Combination 23 is from the semi- conservative group open or closed
   Combinations 20,26  from sport group for open and convertibles

Classic Blue = a  dark blue

Dynasty Blue= a medium blue with a green/gray cast

Edgewater Blue = a dark blue with a green cast

Falence Blue =  a medium blue/gray (more gray than dynasty)

Storm Cloud Blue = a medium almost gray blue,lightest blue

Special orders could be most any color (including metallics) or save$30 and have it shipped in primer.
  These old color names varied even within GM. And the mixing formulas  are based on colors  of long ago. This book has chips for the mixing colors, which are near Rustoleum  standard colors in most cases. But who would put Rustoleum on their car? Warren

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Warren gave a good answer as usual. I want to discuss the car itself. There's lots of strange things about it.
#1 windshield not convertible style
#2 non suicide doors.
#3 locks down low on the doors
#4 wiper helmets missing on top of cowl.
Anyone anything about this car?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.