News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldo air temp sensor

Started by 240cpa, July 30, 2016, 02:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

240cpa

I was hunting for a leaky vacuum hose and sprayed soapy water on the one coming off the back of the carburetor, which happened to cross the wires for the air temp sensor. The air temp sensor wire had a small crack in it and the car died once the water hit it (which helped me figure out that the sensor wire insulation is worn).  Now car won't restart.  Am I now needing to replace the sensor or is there some other way to get the car running? I unhooked the sensor, cranked the engine and then reconnected the sensor to the harness but no luck.

Any help is appreciated. Car is now marooned in a friend's garage and he wants it moved ASAP.

76Collector

Is it a EFI Electronic Fuel Injection model?  If so usually the Coolant Sensor that communicates with the ECU will prevent it from starting.  The ECU Coolant Sensor is located at the right rear of the engine where the water outlet is located.  The Air Temp Sensor is on top of the Manifold.  I've been told if you jump the wires together it will start the car but will run rich since it won't sense the change in temperature.  But could be done to move it unless you want to get it towed.   If you have a contact number or email I can send you more information.  I probably have some extra sensors available too. 

TJ Hopland

I'm sure Bruce Roe will see this soon and have an answer for you about a quick fix and how the water may have effected things.   Seems odd to me.  I would think it would just screw up the reading. 

A few nights a go I was on 500cid.com's site and they had the sensors listed as in stock. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

On the EFI system there are 2 of those sensors, they are identical parts but serve different functions depending on location. ..you could try switching them.  I seem to remember they test at approx 900 ohm. They have a high failure rate. It used to be a challenge to get new ones.

240cpa

Thanks to all who replied and especially Bruce Roe who responded to my email.  Turns out that for whatever reason my inline fuse to the fuel pump blew (related to or coincidental with the original issue?) Once I replaced it things were running pretty well.  Now I need to address the sludge that is showing up in the oil.