News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Firemist touchup paint

Started by 7gen, August 01, 2016, 08:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

I have a 76 Eldorado convertible in Greenbrier Firemist. There are a couple stone chips I want to take care of and there is a wee spot of rust (no bigger than a single dab from a touch up bottle) in the door body I'd like to take care of. Every touch up paint I've seen says to do a clearcoat on top of the base color. Is the car originally clearcoated? If not, do I even need to clearcoat the touch up areas if they are just a dab?

Second question - I have an area of surface rust on the door itself, about two fingers wide, at the point of the door, bottom, as it connects with the fender. I've sprayed that with Fluid Film to keep it from rusting as fast but I want to handle it better. I'm thinking sanding but would POR15 be as good? I guess I would need an aerosol can of GBFM at that point? What's the best practice here - I don't need to take it to an auto body shop because it is such a small job but I also don't want to do a cob job.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

This vendor offers 1 oz bottle touch up paint in single stage. Check the appropriate box for that option.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

7gen

As a followup -

I ordered Greenbrier Firemist and the vendor sent bronze metallic paint. There is a no refund/no remix policy for any color for cars prior to 1986, even if they send the wrong color.

Sorry to hear this.

From Paintscratch.com's own FAQ page:

Q: I received the wrong paint, my order never arrived, my order was incomplete, my order was damaged so what do I do now?

If you have any problems with your order, for example, you got the wrong color or you feel you should have received your order by now, let us know immediately. For lost orders or incorrect paint match, visit our customer service page. For all other inquiries, please contact us.  Our address and telephone number is also listed at the bottom of our home page. Our policy is to replace damaged or incorrect orders and to re-ship orders that never arrived. Of course, there is no charge for this.

If you paid by credit card, you can file a dispute on the charge.

7gen

On the problem form at the site, you have to submit your invoice number so that they know what paint you ordered. I submitted the form, indicating that it was the wrong color (not just a shade matching issue, but bronze instead of green) and when I hit the submit button, a popup screen told me that for any paints for vehicles before 1986, there is a no refund/no remix policy and that I should have read the FAQ to that effect. I had done so and figured that since what I was painting was in an area that does not show (trunk bed), it would not matter if the shade was off. I didn't expect a completely different color.

I guess my next step will be to see if a local auto body place can mix me up something. I've seen places that offer a urethane/clearcoat but that's not really called for here. I just need a single stage reasonably close to the right shade. I'm not fussy but brown is not something I can accept.

I'd try calling.  800-225-2855 (toll free) 775-831-9493 (local)

I wouldn't take this lying down.

7gen

I agree. Between the touch up bottle and the spray can, I've got $40 into paint that is not useable. I'll call them Monday.

I'm hoping that the popup I got was just for situations where older paint cannot be matched exactly without a sample part being sent in (which is an option on the site). I could understand that easier than just refusing to do anything since the problem was on their end.

Either way, I'll post an update.

Thanks for checking back!!!

7gen

San Leandro Color is the supplier for PaintScratch. PaintScratch only has hours M-F, but San Leandro Color is working today so I called them and explained the problem.

I got a very nice lady named Betsy who took my information and said that on Monday, she would personally contact PaintScratch and make it right. She also said that they would ensure that it was indeed a green before it left San Leandro Color.

So hopefully, they will be making good on their product. San Leandro Color was very helpful on the phone.

Glad to hear it.

Looking forward to hearing the final outcome.

jagbuxx #12944

I've sourced touch up from paintscratch.com for my 61, 70 and again just last month for my '75 and have been satisfied with the product.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

7gen

Well, Betsy apparently has some juice with PaintScratch. I just got an e-mail that a replacement order has been shipped. This, on a day that PaintScratch was closed for normal business.

Don't mess with Betsy!!!

7gen

Paintscratch made good on the order. A replacement for the order came yesterday and is the correct color.

Great!

How well does it match?

7gen

So far, I've just used the spray and it matches up pretty well with what is in the trunk. I haven't tried the 1 oz. bottle yet.