News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Milestone Car Society

Started by Richardonly, August 04, 2016, 10:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Hello All,

Anyone familiar with the "Milestone Car Society" of which I believe the 1948-1949 Fleetwood 60S qualifies for membership?

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The only reference I've heard made to the MCS came from Illustrated Cadillac Buyer's Guide by Richard M Langworth who as it turns out was the Society's first president. Other than that I've heard very little mention of the organization in collector car circles generally.

According to the book, the 1949 Fleetwood is recognized for Milestone Status but the 1948 model is not. That may have changed since. In any case, I wouldn't place too much stock in the "distinction" one way or the other. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Richardonly

Eric,

Thank you for the info.  From the information I have read, the 1948 is now a "milestone" car.  But what good is it, if there isn't an active membership?

It seems as if their site isn't even attended to any longer.

Thanks again for your response.

Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As I recall, back when this organization first got started, it was because of the ever going conflict about what is and isn't a "Classic" car. CCCA would not recognize (until later) post-war cars, and people were getting interested in them, and voila', here comes the Milestone Car Society.

Now that there are countless clubs for postwar cars, the need for this particular organization more or less vanished.

(Corrections to my memory are encouraged.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sounds about right. From what I have been told, the CCCA is on the borderline of becoming extinct. Interestingly Mr Langworth alludes to the AACA a number of times in his Cadillac Buyer's Guide in addition to the Milestone Car Society.

Anyone who's ever read the Cadillac Buyers Guide, more than a bit of contempt the author has for certain Cadillac models is evident "reading between the lines".

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Simmons 938

Just google Milestone Car Society of CA- apparently the last remnant of the original National club that started in 1972. The CA club is quite active, but centers around Oxnard in southern CA.  History, events, meetings etc- and anything automotive seems to be welcome- even 48 Caddys, street rods, antiques etc.

Enjoy.
Mike Simmons 938

OK

Eric writes: "From what I have been told, the CCCA is on the borderline of becoming extinct."

I don't think that's the case, at least based on my experience.  My understanding is that the membership numbers are relatively stable, and the club is pretty active with tours and shows.  (They have great club magazines, too.) There is a lot of concern about the future of the club: When every car you recognize was made over 65 years ago, you have to worry about where your future members are coming from.  They recently expanded their set of recognized cars to try to alleviate some of that.  There is also a concern that the proliferation of concours is trumping some club activities.  A good number of the member cars are show cars, and they may want to show them at bigger shows than just CCCA events if such shows are available.  But it's not on the borderline of becoming extinct.
O. Kerr

k8096

Yes, the CCCA is far from extinct.   The Annual Meeting in Troy, MI this past January was focused on V 16 powered cars & there were about 15 V 16 Cadillacs present from all over the country.  It's too bad the Cadillac LaSalle Club can't generate enthusiasm among the owners of these type of cars to bring them to the Grand National shows anymore.   I remember a whole row of V 16s at the Grand National at Greenfield Village in the mid 1980's when I was a kid.     

J Gehring

Richardonly

If memory serves me correctly, the original CLC only allowed cars up to 1958.
1995 Jaguar XJ6

k8096

The club was founded in about 1958 and originally was for cars up to 1942, then it expanded later.  Remember, in 1958 a 1940's Cadillac was just an out of style, low priced used car.   Not much different from today where the club allows cars up to 10 years old on the show field.   

J Gehring

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The CLC first recognized Cadillacs (and LaSalles) up to 1942. We changed that at a Board Meeting at Fairlane Manor that because we ran overtime, (way before Lars Kneller ran Board Meetings) adjourned to a large tree outside the entrance and over the heartfelt objections of Doug Houston, recognized all Cadillacs. I forget the date.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tito Sobrinho

I would love to have a Classic Cadillac from the 30s' , but they are out of my league. Instead, I have the book " The Classic Era"  by the late Beverly R. Kimes.

For my antique 1949, I belong to the AACA  and CLC. I used to be with the Milstone Car Society, but somehow the original Society  became extint.

Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.