News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Spring in front brakes .

Started by DBDB, August 07, 2016, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

I wonder where the horizontal spring sits under the regulator of the front brakes of for instance a 1956 model .i have 2 1956 and on one car the spring sits on top and the other car the spring sits under the regulator .I tried to find via YouTube  but could not fine the definitive answer .Thanks .

m-mman

Your nomenclature is not clear. You are using the word "regulator" Do you mean "wheel cylinder"?

Two return springs connect from the TOP of EACH shoe to the anchor pin that is above the wheel cylinder. I would have to review for a 1956 specifically, but it is not unusual for another spring to connect BETWEEN the two shoes with each end hooked into the same hole that the return springs use.

The best place to see this illustrated is in the shop manual. Do you have one?
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Jon S

I think he is referring to the third (bottom) spring that rubs against the star wheel (regulator).
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

m-mman

Hummmmm . . . That could be.  I believe the name is 'adjusting link'? I have never heard the word regulator associated with this part.

So, above or below the star wheel? Again check the shop manual (I am at work so it is not accessible) but 99% of the time it will be ABOVE the star wheel because as the shoes wear you do NOT ever want the spring to contact the drum.

Cads of this era have "servo type" brakes. This means that the shoes are anchored only at the top pin and slide (slightly) forward and back at the bottom. This allows the front shoe to contact the drum and as it slides against the drum, it forces the rear shoe against the drum with an increased leverage that multiplies the force coming from the wheel cylinder.

The shoes slide on little pads that are built into the backing plate. These pads can become worn with deep groves and can cause a shoe to hang up and then not apply or release smoothly. Inspection of the backing plate is necessary during a brake job but is rarely done.

NON-servo brakes are common on small modern cars. On these cars the front discs are able to handle 90% of the braking ability. You dont need that much brake action for the rear wheels and to prevent skidding you dont WANT that much braking action from them.

NON-servo brake systems have the shoes anchored at the top AND the bottom. (they dont slide forward/back slightly) On these systems the adjuster is at the top somewhere (maybe the parking brake link?) and the bottom spring goes into a little trough that holds everything in place.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634