News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wiperblade alignment on 68 coupe deville

Started by Inflewnzer, August 08, 2016, 02:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inflewnzer

Hello the wiperblades are hitting each other and are struggling to work. Any ideas how to rectify would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Inflewnzer

Scot Minesinger

The shop manual should be very helpful.  This topic may be discussed in the GM 1968 Fisher Body manual more likely.

1.  If the wipers hit each other then the wiper blade arms are not on the posts correctly.
2.  Just getting the wiper blades on the post may cure the struggle to work issue too.

It is unlikely to be the wiper motor, so perhaps with just some labor you will be all set.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello Anthony,

I have a '67 Sedan DeVille, the wiper arms of which I think are similar to your '68's.  You may only need to remove one wiper arm, assuming it is a mis-positioned arm that is causing the problem.  I attached a few photos.

The arms are secured to the wiper driving post via a small spring tab.  The tab needs to be held away from the post using a small scribe or screwdriver, while at the same time lifting the socket of the arm off the post.  Usually, the splines in the socket are somewhat corroded to the splines on the post, so it is unlikely the arm can be removed by just lifting it off by hand.  You can get a special tool or use a large screwdriver to pry up on the base of the socket.  If you use a large screwdriver, take care to prevent the tip of the screwdriver damaging the chrome escutcheon.  I use a piece of sheet metal to protect the escutcheon.  Your '68 has concealed wipers.  My '67 does not, so I had to be careful of the cowl paint as well as the escutcheon.

Once one arm is off, operate the wipers to check that the wiper motor, linkage, and transmission/drive posts are OK.  If so, replace the arm you removed, but index it using the splines on the post and in the socket so that the arm does not interfere with the other arm.  In '67, the left (driver's side) blade is positioned above the right (passenger side) arm when the wipers are in the parked position.  I have attached a few photos.

As Scot posted, the shop manual has all the procedures for wiper service (the '67 shop manual includes a description for the removal of the wiper linkage and drive post/transmission, but no illustration).

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Highwayman68

Here are the wiper arm removal instructions in the shop manual. 68 was the first year for the wiper arms to be hidden under the hood.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Inflewnzer

Scot, Chris & Mark thank you for your help much appreciated.
This forum is a great help for people new to the Cadillac scene.
Thanks again. Ants