News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Hood

Started by Highwayman68, August 09, 2016, 09:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I bought a hood for my 68 many many years ag and had it in storage the whole time. This week it was installed on the car by the body shop and the corners near the back by the doors are not long enough to meet up with the doors by almost 2 inches. Is it possible that this hood is from a later year? It matches up perfect everywhere else.

See the attached picture
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Scot Minesinger

Major mystery here.  The double latch hood closure mechanism was used up until 1970, going to a single in 1971.  1968 was the first year of the hide the windshield wipers with hood by windshield, so there was no way that could be a 67 or older hood.  The 69 and 70 did not have louvers in the hood near windshield section.  This for sure looks to be a 1968 Hood.  You did not show an underneath shot to be sure it had the double latches. 

Here is a theory for you - check the edges that meet up with the doors and make sure it is 100% factory.  These hoods are supposed to be stored on their sides, not on the edges that meet up with doors, which is frequently done.  Could be that someone stored the hood wrong years ago, bent those edges by door and repaired them to sell the hood later.  That is a dirty trick, but don't see much other explanations.  Look at pictures of other hood open 1968 RWD Caddys on e-bay to see if edges that meet with doors seem longer.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillactim

I notice the folded ends of the rear chrome trim. Something was done back there for the trim to be too long.

Tim
Tim Groves

Highwayman68

Scott and Tim you are correct. This is why it is great to have another set of eyes look at the situation as I never noticed that until you pointed it out. Thanks for the feedback!

This hood indeed was "corrected" for being stored improperly. At this point I have to go with the hood as is, it is painted and remounted on the car. I know it is wrong and will see it every time I look at the car but since the car is for my own personal pleasure I will have to deal with it until I can find another hood since the original hood is to rusted to repair.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981