News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 fuel pump push rod

Started by CadillacRob, August 11, 2016, 04:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Been working very hard trying to get the 56 to come back from the dead and idle.

LONG story short, I found my fuel pump push rod wasn't moving.  It was pitted in some spots, and in fact, slightly bent.  I'm hoping the bend wasnt from me, as I lightly hammered it down when it was stuck in the up position.  Lubed it up and it came out.  Rolling it on the table I could tell it was infact slightly bent. 

I have a new one on the way from Kanter, but I wonder, how do these things bend?  Theyre thick steel rod.  I have heard of improper fuel pump installation, but I just cant imagine that'd be the case without damaging the pump itself.  The "arm" was placed over the top of the rod and I bolted the pump in with its gasket and some sealant.

Anywho, I'm really hoping this allows the car to idle.  It keeps starting and then running shaky for about 2-3 seconds and dying.  I'm sure I have several things going on as she hasn't seen the road since 1991. 
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

James Landi

My 56 fuel pump REQUIRED grease be packed in the hollow of the pump where the arm sticks out and receives the vertical push from the cam shaft.  I vividly recall replacing a pump with a new one only to have it fail on the NJ Turnpike in morning traffic. I was convinced that since the pump was only a few months old, that the cam follower had to be worn--- NOT SO! the pivot pin on the pump arm was prematurely worn do to lack of lube, so there was not enough "throw" from the cam push rod to take up the wear slack on the new pump.  There is no lube for these associated fuel pump mechanical parts, and the idea that the pump's internal housing had to be packed with wheel bearing grease seems entirely nutso.  If the cam shaft is worn flat because the cam follower was rusted and bent, then you'll need to install a small, low pressure electric pump.  You may find this "work-around" much more convenient given the physical conditions of the cam follower and what may be an entirely flatten cam lobe on the cam shaft--.James

CadillacRob

Thanks james.  i just sanded and lubed up the push rod and had my wife crank the car while I watched it.  It goes up and down slowly, maybe 1/2" or less.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

James Landi

It's been a long time, but I do recall that the vertical lift on the cam follower is rather slight--- HOWEVER, that's because the geometry of the lever in the pump CAN'T travel very far and does not in order to pump.   So: if the pump works (by hand--- you push the lever on the pump and gas squirts... and your cam follower is rising and falling, then the problem I described may be the major issue--- the pivot point on the pump lever may have too much wear for the cam follower to effect a sufficient upward push--

CadillacRob

Well, I got the new push rod from Kanter and it doesnt fit  ::)

In my digital calipers the original measures about .433 and the new one is about .438/.439. 

I tried brushing out the hole with a cylindrical brush thinking maybe some sludge or something was in the way, and I oiled the hole and rod.  Nothing.  It goes about half way if I twist it but then stops and gets stuck, and hard to pull back out.

Original almost drops in.

How frustrating you spend $30 on a rod and it doesnt fit.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Jay Friedman

I suggest you try to take it to a machine shop who might be able to reduce it to .433, either on a lathe or more likely on a cylindrical grinder. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

CadillacRob

I might have to.....

If its a reasonable cost like 5-10 bucks I will.  But Kanter should be better than that.  I shouldnt have to machine a brand new part.  $30 for a pushrod that doesnt fit.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

James Landi

As I mentioned, you may find that the problem exists not in the cam follower but in the pivot arm wear on the fuel pump itself.  THere should be no looseness in the arm and the pump action... i.e. NO LASH.   James

CadillacRob

The fuel pump is brand new.  I put the original pump pushrod back in lastnight and it operated the pump fine this time (I guess because I cleaned it up so much and re-oiled). But it is still slightly bent and has some corosion, which is why I want to replace it.  The brand new one from kanter wont fit down the hole.  Its 5 thousandths too wide.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

James Landi

THe simple "work around" is a low pressure electric gasoline fuel pump that electrically operates in conjunction with an oil pressure switch  (engine runs, oil pressure actuates the fuel pump's electrical connection to ground).  Save the mechanical fuel pump for another day.

CadillacRob

Eh.  Im not really into adding something new because a parts supplier cant get a pushrod right.  Cheap.  Now if my cam was messed up then that'd be another issue.  But its not.  Kanter has given me the run around for over a week now.  I'll be sure to make them take the return and refund me tomorrow.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Still havent resolved the issue....

A great member here J Gomez notified me of an Airtex pushrod NOS pr1048 measuring .436 and fitting well, and his original measuring .434.  I mentioned that to the customer service manager at Kanter and he told me they've ordered some reproductions of that Airtex rod to see how they measure out.  He did tell me he's sold 26 of their current version this year without any issue.  Hard to believe Im the only guy who has an issue.

I made a little video showing whats going on for those who care to see..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxvmGpRt5Y
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Rob,

As the old say goes “a picture/video is worth 1000 words..!”  ;)

Just for my personal curiosity, have you try flipping the original rod around and see if it fits?

I’m not sure what could be the cause in your case that the new rod would not fit correctly.  :o

Wild guess;

Corrosion on either of the two holes blocking the path  ???
Top and bottom holes may be slightly off round or off center  ???

If may be an easy fix by buffing the holes with a high grain 800-1000 sanding.

Again if I may suggest, if you have a drill bit with same or close diameter of the old rod and see if it can be slide as easily as the rod does just to validate.

In my case both the old and new slight in with no effort.

Best luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jay Friedman

For whatever it's worth, I have 2 NORS spare rods made by the Master Service Parts Co., both of which measure .4355 with my micrometer; that is, halfway between .435 and 436.  A third one is in my '49's motor,  which went in easily and works perfectly.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Glen

Just for fun I checked the shop manuals I have.  Interesting results.   Proves my point the parts book is not a good source of information regarding the originality of parts.  See the clips below. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jay Friedman

Until Glen posted the info from his MPL, I didn't realize there was a difference between the 49-53 and the 54 and later rods.  Given that there is a difference, and if a 49-53 rod's diameter is .435 or .436 like my 49's, would one possibility be that the 54 and later hole in the block and the rod for it is 2 or 3 thousandths narrower?  So, if the vendor is unaware of this difference and sent you a 49-53 rod, this might explain the problem.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

CadillacRob

Guys an update!

Kanter - although they told me they sold 25 of their fuel pump push rods this year alone and I was the ONLY guy who complained about it.......and that their stuff matches their engine blueprints, they ordered an OEM one just for their own research purposes, and to test on a caddy they had in the shop.  Sure enough the OEM was smaller, fit correctly, and theirs did not.

I'll hand it to them for chasing the problem down, and will be sending me a good one now.  But, it took basically a month and a thousand phone calls.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It's really a PITA to have to educate these repro vendors. Most of the time they have bad info & who knows where they get samples to copy. And just remember... ONE size fits ALL!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

savemy67

Hello Rob,

Thanks for being the squeaky wheel!  You were probably Kanter's only problem because you were the only customer who complained.  Good for you.  And now, the vendor has been enlightened, to the future benefit of all.  Well done.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop