News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How many fuel filters are you running

Started by hearn, August 11, 2016, 06:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearn

In the past I have run more, but right now I am only running one fuel filter.  It is located after the mechanical pump and before the carb.  I'd appreciate some thoughts on running a filter before the pump, etc.  My car is a 1954 CdV but obviously this question could apply to lots of years and models.  Thanks, Jim

Jon S

I keep my car completely stock with the glass bowl stone filter between the pump and carburetor. A filter before the pump would prevent debris (if any) from getting into the pump.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Walter Youshock

I have an online filter off the tank on the '57.  I had to seal the tank because of rust and installed it when the tank went back on.

I recommend a filter BEFORE  the pump because even pumps can clog.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

buefchris

A fuel pump pushes fuel better than it can pull it.

55 cadi

I have a small glass fuel filter before the pump, and reg glass after pump.

Reason is i replaced the gas tank but could not do the lines yet, and even when the line is blown, some old stuff still breaks of in the line and goes through system, and I was seeing large particles, and I was sure those would clogg the fuel pump eventually.

So since I have installed before the pump i have been catching stuff before the pump, when i see there has not been anything in small glass filter after a lot of driving i will remove.

When I had my 66 mustang, my radiator would clog, after talking to some old time mustang experts i found that a lot of the 289 engines were clay casted and later some clay left behind would work its way out and clogg the radiator holes, so someone invented,made, a filter for the radiator hose, that went between the engine and radiator, called a "Gano" filter, it worked great, amazing how much i was catching in the screen, after driving with the filter in place i would have to empty the contents and reinstall until there was nothing more getting in screen.

I am now doing that for my cadi gas lines. And i dont want to install a fix like electric pump, because i just dont want to put one on.

Also.......on the 55 there is no "sock" in the gas tank.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

TJ Hopland

When I car is new to me I put a see through one between the tank and pump just to see what may be in the tank.   Stock one stays in place.   If it stays clear between an oil change I remove it.   If it fills with crap I know I'm going to have to do something with the tank. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

I should add to my comment that my method is only sort of needed when the stock filter isn't see through.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I just use one filter as stock same as back in 1970 on all my 1970 Cadillacs.  The steel fuel line rust from the inside out and are steel throughout.  I replaced them with the new steel lines which include some brass rust proof alloy liner so it cannot rust.  Also dropped the tank and made sure it was clean and replaced sock filter at fuel pick-up tube on sender in tank.  The car runs fine, no issues.  Also, drive it regularly.   
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

Previous owner added an inline filter between the tank and the hard line on my 61 and I intend to leave it as is.  I still have the stock glass bowl filter under the hood, so I figure, if I don't have to disturb the glass bowl ever again, I'll be happy.  Less is more with these.

With my luck, I'll either drop the glass bowl, overtighten it and crack it, or not seat the gasket properly and POOF. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

Don't forget there are strainers at the carb inlet and on both needles and seats.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

Quote from: Walter Youshock on August 12, 2016, 01:58:58 PM
Don't forget there are strainers at the carb inlet and on both needles and seats.

Walter -

When did the strainers get replaced with the brass/stone filter?

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

savemy67

Hello all,

Just an FYI,  Jon's second picture is a good example of the sintered bronze filters used at the carburetor fuel inlet in many late '50s to '60s cars.  Bronze powder was shaped and heated to less than the melting point of bronze (about 1750 degrees F.).  The sintering process fused the bronze powder particles but left countless tiny pores which were a good filter medium.  Despite the countless tiny pores, these filters can become clogged.  This can be exhibited by reduced fuel flow at higher RPM.  Probably to save costs, sintered bronze filters were replaced by paper filters.

My '67 has only the single stock fuel pump, but it has three "filters" - the sock-like strainer in the fuel tank, the paper filter in the glass bowl between the fuel pump and the carburetor, and the strainer at the carburetor fuel inlet.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

CadillacRob

I run a see through plastic with yellow paper filter on my 50 61 sedan, before the fuel pump.

I originally ran a glass one with a screen that you could take apart, clean and re-use, but that was letting rust through that clogged my carb.  Now I just tgrow away and replace.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

fishnjim

If you don't need the tank located pre-filter, don't use.   It restricts the suction of the mechanical pump but will protect the pump diaphragm if the old girl's tank is flakey but line is good.   Won't help if the line is flakey. 
I'd rather put a new tank and lines in than fight a plugging prefilter every time I go up hill.  If not, then clean and seal tank, put an electrical booster pump in and filter after it, and clean line to mechanical.   But have to mind pressure and flow requirements of electric.

dochawk

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 12, 2016, 08:00:02 AM
I just use one filter as stock same as back in 1970 on all my 1970 Cadillacs.

The '70 only has one?

My '72 has the one everyone knows about at the carb intake, and another inside the pump.  There's something like a 1-1/4" nut (I had to buy the socket, even with my excessive tool selection!) to get it out.

As I haven't been able able to find a sock for my sending unit, I plan on putting one of those clear ones that that set Type 1 VW engines on fire right after the fuel tank.

And speaking of such . . .

A friend grew on with trips in the '70s to mexico to visit family in his parents '60s hippiemobile.  Mexican gas, at the time, was, well, . . . .

So his father put a Model T fuel filter inline before the VW filter, and would pull over every 100 miles and clean it out with a screwdriver.   With that, the silly VW filter could handle what was left, and they never had a problem . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

SixDucks

Hello all,

When I first resurrected my '62 Fleetwood the original fuel pump sucked debris from the tank and promptly failed. This was right before debuting the car for the first time at a Fathers Day cookout. My solution was to replace the pump, add a filter before the pump, and place a few 40# magnets on the bottom of the tank. From that point on I've never had any debris in my fuel system. I hid the additional filter below the A/C unit out of sight. I will most likely employ the use of heavy pull magnets whenever resurrecting a vehicle and the cleanliness of the tank is suspect.
Hope this tip helps ward off an untimely setback for those acquiring new to you Cadillacs.

Terry

Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham