News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 cadillac

Started by BROOKLYN59COUPE, August 11, 2016, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROOKLYN59COUPE

my 1959 cadillac coupe has the original drum brakes and delco morraine master cylinder , i would like to put in the brake conversion , just newer master and disc brakes in front , people say its really good, my question is i dont know what equipment is really good and what i can use ,, i wont do it myself, ill have my mechanic do it, but, any suggestions  ??????

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Angelo,

It all depends on what sort of driving you do in regards for the need to upgrade to Discs on the front of your car.

If you are a performance driver, and want to hit the mountain roads and rally-cross, then Discs will be good.

But, here in Tasmania, where we have very mountainous areas, and lots of hairpin bends, where one has to get down to 10 Mph to get around if cars are coming the other way, my '60 CDV still had the original brakes, but a later Booster and Dual Circuit Master Cylinder.

I only ever had one brake fading problem, but I was keeping up with a later model car that had Discs, but I still managed to avoid the inevitable.   This is why Cadillacs have wide brake pedals, and big steering wheels.   The pedal for both feet, and the steering wheel for full shoulder width grip.

The best advice I can give you if you don't need discs, apart for the bragging fact, upgrade your car to 1960 brakes all around, as 1960 was the first year for Cadillac with self-adjusting brakes.

Install a Dual Circuit Master Cylinder, as the Single Circuit can be really dangerous is there is a fracture or leak in any of the four corners of the car.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Drum Brakes are far superior to Discs when they are cold, but Discs soon take over as heat builds up.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

BROOKLYN59COUPE

hey Bruce thanks ,would you know of a very good dual master cylinder , make ? , year ? and do i need to change the booster as well  ????

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am not sure exactly what the year is, but I believe it is a '1967 or '68 Cadillac, but it has to be one with Drum Brakes, as there is no requirement for a Proportioning Valve, as in a car with front Discs and rear drums.

Hopefully, someone will chime in here and advise which is the correct one, and what modifications are required.   I think it is a simple filing out of mounting holes in the firewall.

The later model booster will be a companion to the MC.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Dan LeBlanc

I believe you could also use a 1962 master and booster with little to no modification to the car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

BROOKLYN59COUPE

thanks so much guys , i really appreciate the help !!!

BROOKLYN59COUPE

where would the best company to call to get the 1962 brake booster ??

Jeff Wilk

Hello Angelo.  Adding the dual master set up to my 59 Fleetwood sixty special is exactly what we did.  No modifications needed unless you have cruise control and then you will easily see what needs to be done to make about 1/4" room for the dual master cylinder cover to fit.  Hint.....small file or grind wheel does the trick in about 5 mins.  See the finished picture below.

As to where to call?  Go to Midwest Power Products and tell them exactly what you are doing and they have all the parts ready to go.  They even have new front and rear wheel cylinders and hoses which are sometimes hard to get and they manufacture and wholesale them to many of the catalogs.  The web site is :   www.midwestbooster.com

Good luck!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

Al at Arizona Vintage Parts sells rebuilt units.  You may want to talk to him to see if he'll accept your 59 setup as a core to avoid the core charge.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Wilk

Angelo, I forgot to mention that there is no core charge at Midwest Power Booster either with a conversion like this, and you simply reroute your front lines with standard adapters and block the original junction block whole on the frame left over from the front lines with standard plugs too.  Works great!!!!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just knew someone would chime in with the best solution.

Thanks Jeff.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

BROOKLYN59COUPE

WOW, ALL YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST ,, THANKS SO SO MUCH !!!!!!

Coupe Deville

Hello Brooklyn,

If you are going to keep the 4 wheel drum brakes and want a dual resivor master cylinder, and you currently have a delco moraine booster/master, this is what you want if you can still find it. I believe summit racing is the only person they has them anymore. Part number: A1-cardone: 50-1117

Here is the thread I made when I did the conversion to a 1959 Cadillac. http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=125835.20

Lots of good info in there. It was trial and error for a while there, but I was young and inexperienced at the time I did the conversion. It is not rocket science, and is pretty straight forward. since then I have converted 2 other cars with this same booster/master combo. If I did it again, I could do it one day, no problem. So learn from my mistakes! As Bruce stated, going to 1960 and up hardware is a good idea if you can get the parts. You'll get self adjusting drum brakes, and the 1960 drums have hubs with roller bearings in them. So much better then ball bearings. I put 60 hubs on the front spindles of my step dads 59' Convertible.

Best of luck, ether way you go.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Coupe Deville on August 13, 2016, 12:53:38 AM
..... and the 1960 drums have hubs with roller bearings in them. So much better then ball bearings.......   -Gavin 
Oops, yes, forgot about that.   Thanks Gavin.

There is so much more that can be gained by a simple change.   These '59's were so basic, whereas the '60 had a lot of upgraded components that make them very nice to drive.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

BROOKLYN59COUPE

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A MECHANIC IN BROOKLYN , N.Y. OR STATEN ISLAND , OR NEW JERSEY THAT I CAN JUST BRING MY CAR TO THEM , LET THEM DO WHAT THEY NEED TO DO , THEN JUST GO PICK UP MY CAR WITH FANTASTIC BRAKES INCLUDING A DUAL MASTER CYLINDER ???

BROOKLYN59COUPE

anyone recommend where to buy front end, suspension parts , idler arms , etc , for 1959 cadillac ?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Rock Auto Parts online has some really good prices.  There's also Kanter Auto Parts in Boonton NJ.

I just ordered a bunch of brake parts for my '59 CdV. Retaining the single cylinder brake system for authenticity.

New [Bendix] master cyl from Rock Auto was under $50.00 with no core charge so I figured I may as well have it replaced.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

savemy67

Hello Angelo,

Several CLC members have converted their front drums to disks, but you do need an expert mechanic who understands the implications of modifying the original engineering on your 57 year old car.  I don't live in your area so I cannot recommend a shop.  I suggest you contact some members of the local CLC clubs in your area and inquire as to which members, if any, have done the conversion, and where.  Use the link below.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/local-clubs/#Northwestern
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

David King (kz78hy)

For steering and suspension parts, Rare Parts Brand is good stuff.

I sell it and quote you what ever you need.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter