News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Eureka Hearse New pictures

Started by 60eldo, August 13, 2016, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I just bought a 1957 eureaka hearse site unseen but I did see a pic. Hope I didnt F,,,up but I always wanted one and it just came up and I didnt want to get beat to see it as its about 3 hrs away, Anyone know anything about these. Its really neat and I paid 1200 for it. Wish me luck
Jon. Klu

Richardonly

Good luck and would love to see some photos!!! 

57-58 are the greatest.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Lexi

Love it! Short of seeing some pics it sounds like a deal! Always wanted a '50s Cadillac Hearse. Check out the Professional Car Society for info and perhaps Hearse specific help. Clay/Lexi

60eldo

Ok so I went to see her and its a piece of art I think. A little rough but nice. Where do I go to get more info on these cars and who sells parts. By the way is today the 13th ?????  mmmmm
Jon. Klu

m-mman

Show us some pictures and tell us more about it.

To answer your question about parts . . . Sadly they just dont exist.

The mechanical parts are all regular Cad so they are no problem, however the TRIM is not. Not only is the trim non-Cadillac, but in 1957 Eureka, Superior, Miller-Meteor (the major coach builders) all had their own trim. And it doesnt interchange!! Basically everything on one of these cars is made from 'Unobtainum'. 

Finding parts from other cars? for any given year Cad made between 1000 - 2000 commercial chassis that they distributed between all the coach builders. I would have to check the exact number, but 300 Eurekas or less for 1957 would be about correct. How many exist today for parts or restored? Maybe 10-20?

Completeness is EVERYTHING on these cars. Tell us more.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

jaxops

Congratulations.  We had a 1958 hearse at our funeral home. Ours had a red velvet interior.   Very striking and solid cars.  As stated earlier, parts are not a problem from the front clip forward,(engine, hood) as well as tires, wheels, brakes, exhaust.  Everything else is pretty custom or special for hearses and ambulances. Both use the same rear cargo setup so some body parts may cross over.  Both are hard to find for Cadillacs but they are out there.  If the rollers are present, and the cargo area is all intact, you might just need to do interior work.  Fixed rollers were standard for rear-loading hearses.  A moving "tray" indicates a side-loader but these weren't too common for most funeral homes then.  There will be side rear doors to access your spare tire and tools, and assist in loading the casket and flowers.  The side doors should have a mount to screw in a chrome nameplate for the funeral director or funeral home name.  If you get tires, ensure to get commercial heavy duty tires.  You have a lot of weight unloaded on those rear wheels.  Also heavy duty shocks.  These may be air leveling so take a look at those.

Let us know how you make out!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

60eldo

This is only pic I have now, Im picking up this week. Rollers are missing and chrome rear finns that I can see. Its been in this garage for about 10 yrs pretty solid, he says engine should start, master is missing we will see.  All glass is perfect, by the way since I told my friends and family that I bought a hearse they have dishoned me and say they will not come to my house anymore,,,WOW,,,Im excited
Jon. Klu

James Landi

An exciting find... ask on this site about getting the old girl started and running... you can do a good deal of damage by trying to "short cut" the recommissioning process.  Old gas, old tranny oil, old acidy coolant nd engine oil, contaminated brake fluid... you name it, drain it, flush it--- until clean-- don't damage your mechanical because you're in a hurry to go for a ride!  Half the fun is journey.  James

m-mman

Just from looking at the picture I see that the Landau bar(s) are missing. (the S shaped things that should be on the roof)

Hopefully they are inside!! As an FYI those are Eureka ONLY.  (Eureka used a fish tail end on their landau bars)

Hopefully you are going to be picking it up personally.
When you do, SEARCH THE BARN!! Look in every nook & cranny for parts that might have been removed and stashed or put on a shelf.  Ask about any parts that might have been taken inside. Ask where the car might have been stored before and see if you can go to that location and search for anything that might have been removed years ago and set aside at that location.

It cannot be stressed enough how scarce the hearse parts are!
If anything is missing get them while you are there.

As for your family tell them that despite what they might hear on TV, no hearse collector has ever found one that is haunted.  ;D
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Lexi

Oddly, I have run across a hearse that was haunted, for real. No kidding. I do agree with the advice to search the storage area for those Landau Irons and anything else that may be related to the car. Have a good chat with the family/owners and get it's history. You may even get a clue as to where those irons and perhaps other parts may be. Ask to see any old photos and if available, & see if they were on the car then. Re-read J. Crabtree's comments several times as he is spot on. Clay/Lexi

60eldo

Shes coming Friday so I will get a better look. Ive been doing alot of searching on the net but theres very little info on these cars. I just came across a guy 2 hrs from me that has 8,,, 1957 cads for parts so thats good, but he has no hearse stuff. This is going to be a long slow process I think but Im really enjoying the challenge. I will post more pics Friday. Im hoping that someone here who owns a 57 eureka sees this and replys saying he has some extra parts to sell.
Jon. Klu

Lexi

I am excited for you. Do keep us posted and with plenty of pics. I know some PCS members and will ask around for you. Remember the Hearse collector's motto: "Don't let your first ride in a Hearse be your last"! Clay/Lexi

Jeff Wilk

One option we can all consider for truly rare parts is 3D Scanning and Printing. Another car club gent recently did this by finding someones else with the same car who was also willing to lend the part for scanning (while chaperoning his part personally). The part was scanned, a 3d plastic part was made, and that plastic part then used as for making a mold for a new recast if the same piece which was then chromed. No NOT cheap....but at least available IF you can find someone willing to lend a hand. The PCS would be a great source for that.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jeff Wilk

John, check this out. This week is their International meet in MD.   LOTS of sources/leads I'm sure.

https://www.facebook.com/PCSGettysburg2016/
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Gene Beaird

Johnny, That's so cool!  Nice find!  I wish you great luck with it's restoration.

Can't wait to see more pictures. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

60eldo

Is this a barn find, heres pics finally. Picked her up last night at mid night. By the way thats not me, its the guy I got it from hahaha
Jon. Klu

60eldo

Shes home now heres some more pics. I found the data plate while vacunming under 1 inch of mouse crap,,,nnnniiiicccceeee,,,it says its car  307   whatever that means. Anyway shes not siezed motor turning over nice. I will try to start her later on. Battery was dead so I have 3 that are good and none will fit in the 6 in. space cadillac provided. What were they thinking back then. Huge car and you hafta find a skinny battery to fit.  I will change the oil and see what happens. Anyone know where I can get a master cyl? Its missing.
Jon. Klu

chrisntam

...........And the adventure begins.................

Looks great! I'd say you got a bargain.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

James Landi

DOn't try to pump stale gas through the carb! 

60eldo

::) OH  OH,,,I did,,,I got it running
Jon. Klu