News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Eldorado trunk jack instructions sticker

Started by T.Skytte, August 14, 2016, 08:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.Skytte

Hi,

The picture is from the trunk of my (recently acquired) 1979 Eldo.
I'm trying to determine if the sticker is original or if past owner has repainted and put on a sticker from the previous year? or something else?

If I look at e.g. caddydaddy.com I see this triangular sticker: http://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/decals-tags-instructions/decals/caterories/trunk/1979-1980-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-cadillac-eldorado-only-jack-instructions-decal-reproduction.html
But of course in mine it is rectangular... sooo....hmm.

I am thinking/hoping that it is an original sticker maybe from previous years model (as it changed dramatically in 1979). However googling 1975 sticker brings yet another design: http://www.caddydaddy.com/1975-cadillac-eldorado-only-jack-instructions-decal-reproduction.html.

It is all wrinkled but is this normal? There is a yellow mark all around the sticker so it appears that the whole sticker has shrunk over the years and thus left the yellow 'border' and wrinkled up in the process. Is this something that is normally seen?
Or was it a sloppy paintjob with some yoyo throwing on a non-orig sticker wrong? ::)

As can be seen there is a partnumber: 1616198 and date: 3-10-78. But google yields basically nothing regarding this.

Could GM have applied the triangular sticker to 1980 and onwards models and this one on 1979 only?

Any input regarding this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
ts
----------------------------
1979 Eldorado Biarritz

bcroe

That is the same sticker and numbers as on my 79 Eldo unmolested trunk lid.  My experience
is that GM went to those (far superior) frame style jacks.  78 was a much bigger car, so perhaps
this is ANOTHER way the 79 Eldo is a unique model year. 

I gave the original jack stuff to someone more interested in originality than function, and got a
later year frame jack.  That "compact spare" was mounted on a regular rim.  The tire place
couldn't get the tire off, so I cut it off myself and had a real tire mounted on it.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: bcroe on August 14, 2016, 02:04:02 PM
.......  That "compact spare" was mounted on a regular rim.  The tire place
couldn't get the tire off, so I cut it off myself and had a real tire mounted on it.  Bruce Roe 
Boy, you need to find a better tyre shop.

I managed to remove the space-saver tyre from the original rim, and mount it on my Aluminium Rim with very little trouble.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The trouble with a lot of Tyre Shops is that they don't realise that the tyre on the original Eldorado Rims (FWD)
is that the tyre has to come off from the back side of the rim, like the '57 Chevs.   A Tyre shop In Connecticut couldn't
change two tyres on my '72 Eldo in 2008, until I showed them how.   Then it was easy.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

I meant to say, in 1980. 

"My experience is that GM went to those (far superior) frame style jacks.  "

The "space saver" was no loss; I have no use for them.  Bruce Roe

T.Skytte

Quote from: bcroe on August 14, 2016, 02:04:02 PM
That is the same sticker and numbers as on my 79 Eldo unmolested trunk lid.  My experience
is that GM went to those (far superior) frame style jacks.  78 was a much bigger car, so perhaps
this is ANOTHER way the 79 Eldo is a unique model year. 

I gave the original jack stuff to someone more interested in originality than function, and got a
later year frame jack.  That "compact spare" was mounted on a regular rim.  The tire place

Wow that's great news.  ;D ;D ;D thank you very much for that! now I'm loving my Eldo just that little bit more.. 
I was worried about it being repainted (I may start another thread about that), and of course that may still be, the trunk lid sits a little higher in the right side than the left (when closed) so I'm guessing it must have been off at some stage as  I doubt it would come from the factory like that. 

So how else is it a unique year? I know it's the one with 'the good engine' but afaik that one is also in the 1980 model.
Anything else I should be aware of when buying spares?

Best regards,
ts

1979 Eldorado Biarritz

T.Skytte

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 14, 2016, 06:45:06 PM
Boy, you need to find a better tyre shop.

I managed to remove the space-saver tyre from the original rim, and mount it on me Aluminium Rim with very little trouble.

PS.   The trouble with a lot of Tyre Shops is that they don't realise that the tyre on the original Eldorado Rims (FWD)
is that the tyre has to come off from the back side of the rim, like the '57 Chevs.   A Tyre shop In Connecticut couldn't
change two tyres on my '72 Eldo in 2008, until I showed them how.   Then it was easy.

Interesting with the tyres and good to know! thanks.  What's that 'cage' you're building for the tyre?

Incidently my space-saver tyre and jack looks brand new, probably never used, there is even the can of air/co2. I didn't yet get too close a look at it though.
And I rushed to buy a new jack from ebay because I thought it was missing  ::) (so if anybody need a jack let me know...  ;D )

Best regards,
ts
1979 Eldorado Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

The cover is for my Spare Tyre in the Continental Kit that I also made.

The Space-saver is the ideal size to use as the full-size tyre is just too large to fit nicely on the back.

As for your trunk lid being out of alignment, I would be looking at the possibility of a bent hinge. 

Someone could have put something large in the trunk and tried to close the lid, thereby bending one side?

PS.   I don't use the bottle of compressed air, but a small but efficient 12 volt compressor that sits within
the tyre rear space in its' watertight compartment, alongside the jack base and bumper bar hook.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Quote from: ts23So how else is it a unique year? I know it's the one with 'the good engine'
but afaik that one is also in the 1980 model.

79 Eldo was the first downsized, with EFI standard, with enhanced possibility of both good performance
and economy, with easy bolt in of 403 engine (use 425 ECU), independent rear suspension.  First Eldo
with aluminum intake manifold. 

79 Eldo was the last of the mechanically advanced spark, mechanical Climate Control.  Last with very
minimal emissions equipment and legal requirements. 

The only Eldo with an Olds engine (except a few 80s sent to CA, the earlier EFI had lower emissions
than its replacement).  And its the E car I have driven for 3 decades.  Bruce Roe