News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac now made in China

Started by CadillacRob, August 15, 2016, 08:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

The CT6 hybrid is now being made in China, so they can avoid the tariffs.  A cadillac.  Being made in China.  Im sure glad Im only into the classics

http://blog.caranddriver.com/cadillac-ct6-plug-in-hybrid-to-arrive-in-u-s-with-made-in-china-label/
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Chris Conklin

Here's a fun game; replace China in the above statement with any other country of your liking (with the exception of the US obviously). Can we find a better choice? Consider it both as a consumer and a manufacturer of the product. Who gains? Who loses?

At risk of inviting the political arguments, which I hope we can omit from the discussion, would Cadillac be able to ignore globalization and remain a viable marque? Do other countries and cultures value the " Made in USA" tag enough to pay a premium? I would posit that we don't value it enough to do so here, why would anybody else?

Let the games begin...
Chris Conklin

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

When I read the title of this thread my heart just sank.
Nothing is made here any longer.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

jsanford

Cadillacs now made in China to avoid tariffs is not news. They have been building Cadillacs in China since 2007. SRX, SLS, XTS, ATS, XT5, CT6, all made in China for the Chinese market.

The news is that one version of the 2017 CT6, the PHEV, will be made in China to be sold in the US. Time will tell whether consumers really care where their cars are built, but they sure don't seem to care where their clothes, phones, computers, TVs, appliances, etc are.

1976 - "Cadillacs have Oldsmobile engines! THE END IS NEAR."
1984 - "Cadillac is switching to unibody! THE END IS NEAR."
1998 - "Lincoln outsells Cadillac! THE END IS NEAR."
2006 - "Cadillac is getting rid of real model names! THE END IS NEAR."
2012 - "Full-size Cadillac doesn't have a V8! THE END IS NEAR."
2016 -
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

chrisntam

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on August 15, 2016, 04:00:35 PM
When I read the title of this thread my heart just sank.
Nothing is made here any longer.
Jeff

Trump is going to fix that.

:o
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Since most auto parts are made in China and the DOA or do not last a month failure rate is so high, I think China is a terrible manufacturer.

Silver lining:  Cadillac (an American division of GM, and American company) is earning a profit selling cars to Chinese people made by Chinese people - that is good.  If Cadillac did not make their cars in China another Luxury manufacturer would and Cadillac would have less to invest in R & D, and their product would suffer here in America.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

CadillacRob

I understand we have a global economy and companies need to do what they need to do.

But Cadillac is distinctly American.  Itd be like a mustang or f150 being made in China.  I know all vehicles are comprised of global components, but I really disagree with that move.

While aiming to refrain from political commentary, I will say that it should speak to us as citizens and our politicians that our distinctively American products need to be made in China and shipped back here to turn a profit for the company.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

chrisntam

My '02 Avalanche was made in Mexico.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Would we be having this discussion if it was being made in Canada?   >:D
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that lots of American cars, Pickups and parts (Engines) are being made in Mexico and Canada.   Foreign Countries.

And Australia is losing their manufacturing in a year or two.   No more Holden Commodores, Ford Falcons and Toyotas.

Hopefully, we will be getting Cadillacs, but these most probably will be made in  China.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Interestingly the move to manufacture in China is supposed to be a move to "keep costs down and be competitive"

Funny how prices still rise regularly and profits continue to soar.  As it was asked: "who wins and who loses"?

As a restoration shop owner, I've yet to see anything resembling a "quality part" come into my shop that was manufactured in China.  Yet I DO see prices rising regularly-- so somebody is lying to me.

As the late George Carlin pointed out "Jumbo Shrimp" is a curious oxymoron.  Add to that "quality Chinese"

CadillacRob

To the comments regarding if we'd still be dissapointed if it was manufactured in Canada, or "fill in the blank" country, in short, Yes.  The problem is a classically American product going non American to stay "competitive and relevant" in todays market.

Reminds me of craftsman tools, which took a big dive in quality when going to China.

We dont charge tariffs to the Chinese when they export goods to our country, but should we sell our stuff there, its charged taxes by their government.  Seems legit. ::)
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Quote from: cadillac ken on August 16, 2016, 11:14:32 AM
Interestingly the move to manufacture in China is supposed to be a move to "keep costs down and be competitive"

Funny how prices still rise regularly and profits continue to soar.  As it was asked: "who wins and who loses"?

As a restoration shop owner, I've yet to see anything resembling a "quality part" come into my shop that was manufactured in China.  Yet I DO see prices rising regularly-- so somebody is lying to me.

As the late George Carlin pointed out "Jumbo Shrimp" is a curious oxymoron.  Add to that "quality Chinese"

Reminds me of the American tool brands like Milwaukee who charged a price for a made in America tool, and a couple years later its made in China, and sold for the same price if not more
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Jon S

Quote from: CadillacRob on August 15, 2016, 11:04:36 PM
I understand we have a global economy and companies need to do what they need to do.

But Cadillac is distinctly American.  Itd be like a mustang or f150 being made in China.  I know all vehicles are comprised of global components, but I really disagree with that move.

While aiming to refrain from political commentary, I will say that it should speak to us as citizens and our politicians that our distinctively American products need to be made in China and shipped back here to turn a profit for the company.

Unfortunately the Mustang transmission states on the window sticker "Made In China."  The Corvettes have a known engine problem from bearings outsourced to China.  When are we going to learn???
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Simple fact is, a lot of vehicles are manufactured in Canada for export to the US.  These 2015 models are all Canadian assembled vehicles:

•Buick Regal
•Cadillac XTS
•Chevrolet Camaro
•Chevrolet Equinox
•Chevrolet Impala
•Chrysler 300
•Chrysler Cargo Van
•Chrysler Town & Country
•Dodge Charger
•Dodge Challenger
•Dodge Grand Caravan
•Ford Edge
•Ford Flex
•GMC Terrain
•Honda Civic
•Honda CR-V
•Lexus RX 350
•Lexus RX 450h (Hybrid)
•Lincoln MKT
•Lincoln MKX
•Toyota Corolla
•Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 EV

It's been going on for decades and has never seemed to be an issue.  After all, we Canadians spend a lot of money in the US (produce, consumer goods, travel and tourism, just to name a few).  There is more coming North than going South.  Who's the winner here?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

64\/54Cadillacking

From a business and economic standpoint, this move makes sense for GM as every business is in business to make a profit, however when you start "selling out", especially for a brand like Cadillac which is a luxury make that has great history behind it will now start being made in China of all places, that simply does not look good in the eyes of older buyers and future prospects and is a very risky business decision. Add to it being a disgrace from a moral perspective is enough to drive many people away from the brand altogether.

When you are only in business for the money and can care less about your customers  wants, thoughts and wishes, well then you're no longer respected as a company. I understand that all new appliances are pretty much made in China, but appliances are cheaper to buy, and aren't a huge investment like a car is, so yeah it is different I believe and will matter to some buyers as Chinese goods is the epitome of Cheapness and low quality throughout the world which doesn't bode well for car buying. Because you know in the back of American people's minds buying a Chinese made Cadillac will be, "what is going is break the first 5 minutes I drive off the lot", rather "this car should be trouble free for years". :o

Just imagine if Rolls Royce decided to build Phantoms in China? How do you think their customers would react?

The big problem here that I find is and some will probably agree, is out of all countries in world, China has the worst manufacturing conditions, and a bad history of quality output, and is a huge violator in human rights especially the way they treat their citizens and workers. It's slave labor over there, just like in India.

So for Cadillac to go to the cheapest country in the world to manufacture cars, it just looks bad on there part as being a penny pinching cheapskate. At least in Mexico and Canada, they have strict labor laws, and are pretty good at making stuff, that's not to say that they are better than the U.S. at producing goods, but they are way ahead of the chinese.

Regarding prices, I also notice when goods are offshored, you'd assume the prices for those goods would come down in price as it cost less for the company to make, but they never do, and in some cases they actually go up. So many companies are making huge profits at the expense of poor people. It's sickening and sad at the same time. I guess GM (hypothetically speaking) is fine with paying a Chinese worker $2.00 an hour to make a car, and charge $70,000 for it. That is just disgusting and evil. >:(

Ford learned their lesson when they first started making the Lincoln MKZ in Mexico, there were delays made for the car's release because the quality control at that plant was so bad, that just within a year, Ford decided to transfer all the MKZ production to their Flat Rock MI plant.

So imagine China????

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

RoMow

I'm old enough to remember when "Chinese Junk" referred to a boat in their harbor. 

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Libertarian Gary Johnson were president.  His endorsement for replacing the IRS Code with The FairTax Act would have international businesses returning to the USA.  Our manufacturing base would once again be what it was.  Neither of the other two major-party candidates want to do anything but "reform" the existing tax code, which is what they've been doing -- with disastrous results -- for over 100 years.   
Inventor of the modern U.S. mountain bike -- May 1966.
Inventor of the "Baby Harley" -- a Cushman Silver Eagle motorscooter with a Kohler Command or B&S Vanguard V-twin engine -- January 1991. 
"No matter how many material possessions or awards you may acquire in your lifetime, the only thing you will ever truly own is your reputation." My late father, Joe Rom, 1912-2003

SixDucks

Food for thought.......General Motors is becoming China Motors: http://youtu.be/Lvl5Gan69Wo

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

CadillacRob

Again, Im just glad I'm not in the market for a new vehicle.  I'll just keep rebuilding the old stuff.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

cadillac ken

CadillacRob said: "Reminds me of the American tool brands like Milwaukee who charged a price for a made in America tool, and a couple years later its made in China, and sold for the same price if not more"

Bingo!

"Reminds me of craftsman tools, which took a big dive in quality when going to China."

...and did that competitive edge result in lower prices?  Of course not.  Lied to again by the corporations that are reaping the benefits while shipping jobs--- and entire industries-- overseas.

Jon S said: "Unfortunately the Mustang transmission states on the window sticker "Made In China."  The Corvettes have a known engine problem from bearings outsourced to China.  When are we going to learn???"

We the consumer have learned.  Unfortunately it's the profiteers that are the ones that simply don't care.