News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hershey October Show Help

Started by Highwayman68, August 18, 2016, 02:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I am considering attending Hershey in October, this would be my first time going there.

I will be driving there as I am in Pittsburgh which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive, I figured I could drive there in the morning and drive back in the evening.

So what suggestions do you have for a first timer looking for parts? I have a 1968 Fleetwood.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Dan LeBlanc

Simple.  WALK, and WALK, and WALK some more.  Plan to spend the entire 3 days there from the time the gates open to the time they close.  Nothing is grouped by make, so you're looking at everything.  Some folks have signs out saying what marques they're offering stuff for.

Definitely recommend staying somewhere near there.  After walking (did I mention there's a lot of walking?) ALL day, you will not feel like driving 3 1/2 hours home, let alone doing it all over again the next day.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Hansen

When you get there your first day, purchase a meet program.  The cost is $5.  Not only does it have maps of all of the flea markets fields (they're not technically fields, everything is on blacktop), but they list all of the vendors, their space numbers, and the primary category of what they're vending.  There is always a large list of Cadillac/LaSalle vendors.  That doesn't mean you should ignore all of the other spaces!  Some vendors classify themselves as "general" or "miscellaneous".  If you're short on time, then you'd want to hit the Cadillac specific vendors first.  The program doesn't narrow things down any more than that.  So even though someone is a Cadillac specific vendor, you don't know what years of parts they have.

I agree with Dan, do yourself a favor and get a hotel room.  At this point, though, you won't find much of anything available within an hour's drive of Hershey in any direction. Rates are always jacked up for this event, too.  Comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, a rain poncho, and a backpack or large shopping bag are essential!  Know what you are looking for and what it might interchange with.  You cannot rely on the vendors to know that information.  Photos help.

The CLC does have a hospitality tent at Hershey to rest your weary feet and get some free refreshments (coffee, tea, water, sodas, snacks).  The tent is in the North Chocolate Field, spaces C4P 24-26.  These are the same spaces as last year.  The tent is open Wednesday - Friday from 9 AM to 4:30 PM (closed Saturday).  It's a great place to hang out if it rains!

Hope you decide to come to Hershey!  Everyone should experience Hershey at least once.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jay Friedman

The drive from Pittsburgh would be several hours each way so you'd have almost no time at Hershey.  As Dan and Jeff said, you'll need several days.  I can recommend the Scottish Inn Motel in New Cumberland PA.  It's about 20-30 minutes from the fields, reasonably priced ($70 per night or so) and there are 3 restaurants within walking distance.  If you want to stay closer in it will be very expensive.

I've been to Hershey many times, so if you want more info, email me separately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

MAX GRETENCORD

Dan is right.  We normally drive out Tues. from So Bend and it takes most of the day.  #1 you might not find a place close without paying a premium.  Some places jack up the price.  We made our reservations when we left the hotel last year. We stay about 25 miles away in New Cumberland, PA. We have checked the walking mileage and we typically walk about 10 miles a day.  Shop both sides of the isle at the same time otherwise you will never make it through the whole place.  Bring a cart or wagon if you plan to buy stuff ...at minimum bring a swap bag.  Bring a cheap poncho.  Bring sturdy shoes and never brand new ones.  Bring money as Hershey is always higher in price but the quality makes it better.  It will take you 3 days to shop and look at the cars for sale.  You "must" stay for the car show which is on Sat am and most of the swap spaces are packing up for home.  Bring your camera.  Bring your cell phone and leave your walkie talkie at home. Don't wear a black or blue shirt or hat or you will never find your buddy in the crowd.  If go to Hershey once you will never miss it again.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Jeff Wilk

Also checkout hotels in Harrisburg only 20 mins west. Booked mine there three weeks ago and lots available. Not cheap nut also not crazy jacked up like in Hershey itself. Cant do the drive to and from Pitsburgh AND do the flea market the same day.....no way no how.....

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Walter Youshock

PREPARE FOR RAIN!!!  BOOTS, SLICKER, UMBRELLA, CANOE...

I've been to Hershey when it was 90 and sunny and I've been there in snow flurries or at least a heavy frost.  And rain...  lots and lots of rain...

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Scot Minesinger

Highwayman68,

My drive is about the same 3 hours or so and I go for the day.  Arrive around 10am or so and it gets dark around 6pm, so by 7pm I'm on the road home.  Fact is I just do not have the time to give Hershey more than a day.  Generally I look at the cars for sale just for the fun of it.

I have walked thru the flee market, and if that is why you are thinking of going, there is no way I would do it.  Have never ever had any trouble finding parts on line, calling and etc.  The days of showing up in person for parts is on the wane.  However, prepare and there may be some vendors selling parts or what you need for a 1968 Cadillac, you never know.  I should add that my Hershey experience is limited, but point is you can go for the day.

Yes, it would be better if you could stay longer than a day.  I cannot and make the most of my one day there.  Just get a good night's sleep.  I look at the weather and attend either Thurs or Fri, which ever is better weather. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Wilk

I guess the question that has to be asked first is what you are going for in the first place. I'm in NJ and have gone to Los Angeles for the day too. Again what is it you are going for?  IF dor the flea market where you will absolutely find parts for most cars and many many many that are NEVER put online then there is absolutely no way yiu can cover the flea market in even three days by yourself. The Car Coral?  Totally doable in a day with time for a couple of hours in the market. The Car Show?  A few hours for that Saturday alone and by then most of the flea market has packed up and more than half the Car Coral cars have moved on.

Again, yiu have to ask what you are going for. Can you have a blast in a single day absolutely......you just cant "do it all".

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Chuck Swanson

Agree with Jeff.  You can go for the day and see part of the flea market.  Definitely won't cover all as it takes at least two day, maybe three.  I would focus on the large parts that you need, fenders, bumpers, steering columns, etc...    I find tons of parts there, and probably 30% of the parts for my cars, Caddy and others, are from Hershey/swap meets vs online.   Since I know where all of the Caddy parts are at Hershey, so doable in one day, but it would be tough to find them all for a first timer.   Many like me also sell parts on eBay, but offer option to deliver to Hershey.  I have sold to many guys that have just showed up for the day to pick up parts bought (fenders, bumpers, doors,etc..), and then visit flea market for a short while.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Highwayman68

I am going for the parts that never make it online like the cover panel under the steering wheel, I am starting to make a list to take with me. I am only interested in parts, not looking at cars. I really don't need much but I have never been there and it seems like something that I should do.

I only have 2 days available so after reading these posts I am looking at driving there early Thursday morning, staying over night and staying till late Friday then driving home.

Looking for a room now. Scottish Inn is sold out for Thursday night. Looking towards Harrisburg and York now.

Steve Passmore

That's more sensible. I have done Hershey many times over the last 3 decades and have never really seen it all in the 4 days we spend there let alone one and we do our travelling before it starts.  When I was last there in 2013 I found plentiful rooms actually in Hershey through Booking.com but as stated you will pay a premium but as you can walk to the event and not get caught in traffic jams I found it well worth it.  Last time was actually on Chocolate Av at this place and they still have rooms when I checked.

http://www.simmonsmotel.com/
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Dan LeBlanc

Mark

The Comfort Inn in Linglestown has rooms available.  Just off Exit 72 off of I-81.  From there it's about 1 mile up North Mountain Road, through the roundabout onto Route 39, and about 15 minutes into Hershey on Route 39.  There's never any heavy traffic from that route in and out of Hershey that I've experienced in the last 4 Hersheys I've been to.

Use zip 17112 in your search.

I've also stayed up in Lebanon before.  A bit out of the way, but if you take Exit 79 (Manada Hill/Hershey) off of 81 South heading in, the traffic isn't too bad although it can get jammed in both directions around rush hour - especially since they're doing construction near Pine Grove.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jay Friedman

I've stayed in York in past years.  There's several inexpensive motels and restaurants at the intersection of Route 30 and I-83.  Trouble is there is rush hour traffic on I-83 going toward Harrisburg/Hershey in the morning making for at least a 45 minute drive unless you get up at the crack of dawn.  I think Dan's suggestion in Linglestown is better.

Be sure to follow Jeff's advice on what to bring with you.  I would add to that pencil and note paper and if you are going to buy something heavy bring something with wheels since the distance to your parked vehicle could literally be miles.  I usually bring a kiddie wagon or a hand cart.  If you are going with a buddy don't leave your cell phone or other means of communication home since otherwise you 'll have trouble finding each other if you split up.

Story:  Years ago I had a well-to-do friend who had a "permanent" room at the Best Western in Hershey.  (He'd reserve and pay for the room for the following year when he checked out.)  Four of us--2 on futons, 2 in beds--would stay there along with boxes of our purchased parts.  It was expensive (and messy) but he footed the bill and it was real convenient.  He and several other guys also had a space on the Chocolate Field where they sold stuff and where he parked his Chev Suburban, so we'd just drive onto the field after breakfast--no hiking a long distance from the parking lot.  Unfortunately he passed away 15 years ago so now I'm back in the real world.     

See you at the Cadillac tent.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Highwayman68

I got a room with points at the Hampton Inn near where 81 and 83 meet.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, I am looking forward to this!