News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New tires for '74 Cadillac Eldorado

Started by Viator Trudeau, August 18, 2016, 09:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

I want to replace the tires on my '74
eldo convt..  What was the original tire size and WW width. 

Thanks,  V. Trudeau

Viator Trudeau

In my search for a pair of new tires for the front first,that had to have 3/4" wide WW, to match the rear, none of the tire companies TOYO,HAN COOK,Cooper,Goodyear, Firestone, list the WW width on their specs sheets of the a given tire, when at a dealer.    Call them at the company sales dept. & they either do not know for sure, will tell you 3/4" and ship 1/2". I have stopped at Merchant tire & THRED QUARTERS and they call their supplier,  they don't know and are too lazy to go out in the ware house to look.  Coopers national customer  service says their WW is 3/4"wide, has been for 10 years on  their Trendsetter model  for 235/75/15 size.
Buying four is easier????.

V.Trudeau

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Maxxis Tryes on my '72 Eldo have a 20mm wide whitewall.   235 x 75 x 15.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Look at your owner's manual or sales lit.  These cars look great with whitewalls about 1.6 inch wide but you will need to go the Coker or Diamond Back.  At this point normal tire places don't carry the correct whitewalls and they are a specialty item.

If you figure the added cost and divide it by 10 years which is the lifespan of a tire, to me it's worth it.

The right caps, rims, and tires really make or break the look of a car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

LenInLA

I just installed four Coker tires with 1.6" whitewalls. Previously, the car had tires with narrower whitewalls. As Brian said - what a difference the right set of tires makes! The car looks way better overall!

The tire shop charged $800 for everything including California tax. Seeing how I paid $2800 for a set of Avons for my Bentley, this was a bargain :)

Leonard Grayver

EAM 17806

Quote from: Viator Trudeau on August 18, 2016, 09:49:41 PM
I want to replace the tires on my '74
eldo convt..  What was the original tire size and WW width. 

Thanks,  V. Trudeau
The factory width WW for 1975 and 1976 was definitely 1.6".  Check the factory shop manual for specs. I believe 1974 was also 1.6"   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

bill06447

Here's an original LR78-15 tire from a 76: