News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct case for reproduction style battery

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, August 19, 2016, 05:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Update: Sort of an odd outcome, hoping this is of interest to folks...
Having received or found no other information I just decided to roll the dice. First called Restoration Battery. They were about 3 weeks out of shipping (I'm in Washington state so add another 7-10 days for shipping). Thanked them kindly and called Antique Auto Battery. They were 2-3 days out. I was in a hurry as I had a show that I've enjoyed often coming up and since the existing battery was fading quickly didn't feel like I had the extra time. Ordered from them and the battery arrived well packaged, on time, and was the one I ordered.

Interesting that it arrived with a 75% charge (being an Optima with associated glacial discharge rate I figured it would have been nearly 100%. I charged it using an appropriate charger and achieves and holds a full charge.

In any case here's where the oddness begins. I called them and the person I spoke to kind of talked in circles but here's how it played out.
First, the case was not painted - it does have the Delco logo and decorative patterning but it's all black. (See below for details). Explanation was that an OEM installed battery (EG the one installed in the car at the factory) would not have been painted but the aftermarket ones one would buy at the dealer or parts store would have been.  Why they show a painted one on their website wasn't something she had much of an explanation for.
Secondly, date coding. Although their website offers and I specified it (my car was delivered November 5, 1940 so had to be an early date code), mine arrived without it. Explanation was that "they don't date code the early batteries". Again no real explanation from this person and at my question on when I would receive the shipping label to return or exchange this one they've agreed to send me the stamps and a diagram to do it myself.

Overall, unless I was in a hurry, if i had to do it over again, I'd give Restoration a try (like you said Bill Ingler). Once I receive the stamps I plan to call Restoration Battery and see what they do for date stamping, hoping for consistency.

________Original Post below:_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Along the lines of another person's recent post, I'm now looking for a new battery with the authentic look case.

Looking between the two sources, I see that one has painted lettering on the outside of the case and one does not. My question is whether anyone knows whether the  lettering was originally painted or not - ?

Edit 1: Here are the links for the two sources I mentioned, antique auto battery and restoration auto battery. Sorry for the omission <slapping forehead>:
http://antiqueautobattery.com/batteries/gm/G1-2-3-Delco.html
http://restorationbattery.com/group2.html

Edit 2: Bill, thanks for checking in on this. I presently have a Restoration Battery unit in my car and it's been real good to me. 6 years of my ownership (with charger/de-sulphator) as well as two with the previous owner's unfathomable neglect. Like you, hoping someone knows/can post a photo of an original, else will just go with them again. Interesting to read about the lifespan change too.

Tried to figure it out practically so I've looked through the Authenticity Manual, the shop manual, Serviceman supplements, Operating Hints and the Features booklets for a photo (even relating to something else with the battery in the background) but no luck.

Not to make too big of a deal of it, but both flavors are the same price (and probably the same internal battery, an Optima, which is what I want) and I need to choose one of them so thought I'd try to make the most appropriate decision.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Scott: Excellent question and I hope someone will post a picture of an original 41 Delco Cadillac battery. It would be my guess that the original battery had colored lettering such as what is offered by Restoration Battery below showing colored lettering. Just shortly after the 6 volt Optima battery first appeared, a case to hold the Optima, a replica 2 piece plastic Delco case was made for the Optima. I have one on my 47 and no colored lettering. Now we have Restoration Battery offering a Delco case molded around the Optima with colored lettering which if I had it to do over, this is what I would buy. I think Restoration tries to reproduce an authentic battery as possible. I have not priced the Restoration Battery but I would think it would be much more than what a stock Optima cost today., On a side note, in my opinion, the Optima today does not have the battery life as did an Optima 5 years ago. Then I was averaging about 5 years from an Optima. Today that is more like 3 years.   Bill

http://www.restorationbattery.com/group2.html