News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Horrible Summer Weather

Started by Jon S, August 20, 2016, 02:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

All it seems to do is rain or when it is clear it is so humid you can slice it with a knife.  Have been limited to early morning or late evening car usage.  One of the worst summers.  Frustrating - even working on the cars is tough with the heat/humidity!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bobby B

Jon,
I'm in Jersey, and I agree with you 100%. Crazy Humid, and threat of showers almost every day. I hope we have better car weather in the fall.
         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Jon: Come to Phoenix Arizona and get warm and dry. Just a couple of days ago was our 30th day this summer of 110 degrees with several of those days over 115 and one day I saw 120. If I need to take and old car someplace, it will be early in the day and even then it could be 100. Nothing like riding inside a flat head Cadillac at 100 degrees.   Bill

chrisntam

where you at Jon???

It sure would be nice if everyone put their (general) location by their name.....  ::)

In Dallas, we've experienced cooler than normal temps, highs in the 80s, when highs should be in the upper 90s.  Yeah, a little rain, but the cool temps are where its at!

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jon S

Quote from: chrisntam on August 20, 2016, 02:48:00 PM
where you at Jon???

It sure would be nice if everyone put their (general) location by their name.....  ::)

In Dallas, we've experienced cooler than normal temps, highs in the 80s, when highs should be in the upper 90s.  Yeah, a little rain, but the cool temps are where its at!

I'm on Long Island, New York
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

savemy67

Hello all,

The weather here in the mid-Atlantic has been pretty wretched.  Hot, hazy, and humid as they say.  Some of you may have seen a news report about the flooding in Ellicott City, MD, which is about 2 miles from where I live.  The near-term forecast looks a little better.  I suspect that Fall weather will be nice, and relatively mild, but my joints tell me that there will be more than one snowfall measured in feet come January and February.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

I'm in DC and it is been about 97'F with 50% humidity for two weeks now.  I kind of like it, and have been enjoying the heck out of my convertible.  Today drove to the CLC local picnic about an hour away starting at 2pm, and it was a joy driving there and back.  My daily drivers have been sitting idle.  I hate the cold.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

You fellas are having a horrible time in USA, especially those having the Bush Fires, and the Floods.

Every time I watch the News, and they aren't mentioning the Olympic Games, they are showing flames in California, and water in other states.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

Here in N. Cal, I'm not impacted by the fires, other than some haze a couple of days last week, and the weather is glorious, as expected this time of year.  Might have hit 80 today. Great climate for enjoying old cars. Hardly worth the hassle to keep the a/c working.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scot Minesinger

Bruce,

In DC area (an hour South of Christopher, Save 67) the weather is pleasant to me.  I don't mind the heat.  Here on the East coast, there is no shortage of water, that is for sure.  There are no forest fires of any consequence.  The only bad thing is that during the winter they over salt the roads over cautiously.  Every winter the Atlantic Ocean calls requesting their salt back. 

There is no issue with hot weather for us enjoying our classic cars, 100'F is to be expected during the peak of the season.  It is the winter that is the problem due to salt.  In DC we must have the worst snow drivers in the USA, most likely because we have maybe two snowfalls per year (inexperience).  When I grew in OH where snow was part of life in winter (one snowfall a week for 4 months), everyone drove well in snow.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

gary griffin

Crazy hot in Seattle quite a few days over 90 F , Lucky to have rare house heat pump/AC. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

V63

Turn me over...I'm done on this side!

Phoenix!

cadillac ken

Florida:

put the classic motorcycle in mothballs for the summer.  triple digit temps daily.  Road heat, cars in traffic heat, sun on your head heat.  no likey motorcycle riding.

In my old car without A/C it's like living in an oven.  Truly unbearable.  You can literally feel the air temp like it was coming at you from a furnace.   I can no longer get motivated to go outside on the weekends.  Stay in the A/C indoors.
First year I have felt like this.  I'll stay inside and work on the house projects in the A/C.  Hottest year on record and we aint done yet.

Not having fun here!

Ken in Florida.

Maynard Krebs

Oh, is Mr. Schapiro ever correct on this one.   I think that it's the ROTTENest Summer that I've ever experienced in my almost-70 years.   I've BREATHED more moisture from the air than actual rain!   I've only cut my grass TWICE this year.   I'm in Southern New England:  if it wasn't for my wife refusing to re-locate, I'd be heading to.. Wyoming or similar, where the humidity is a mere fraction of what it is in far too many USA locations---which also tend to have HIGH taxes and HIGH cost of living / housing costs, too.

James Landi

Ken has nailed it about FLorida-- , there's no rain in the afternoon that usually cools things off... so hot, and too long traffic lights-- my old gal is in the garage-- keeping her out of the sun and heat.   James in Melbourne FL.

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 20, 2016, 08:03:36 PM
I hate the cold.

I admit that there's probably more people that love the heat more than those who hate it.   But, I truly HATE HEAT and that rotten HUMIDITY!!!   

"Breathing.. is not an option."   My bet is that heavy moisture content in humid air slows down the process of absorbing the necessary oxygen in the air.. to stay alive.
Further, the cooler air is, the more dense it is, and thus there is more oxygen per average breath volume.   Or, in car engine terms, "better volumetric efficiency".   LOL

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 21, 2016, 09:01:17 AM

Here on the East coast, there is no shortage of water, that is for sure.

Scott, there sure IS a HUGE rainwater shortage in Southern New England in 2016!

Bobby B

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on August 21, 2016, 10:31:47 PM
if it wasn't for my wife refusing to re-locate, I'd be heading to..

I'm in that club also........ ::)
                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

James Landi

: http://nyti.ms/2bqOzxX      We're in for more of the same.   James

Steve Passmore

Well, every Englishman complains about the weather, but after hearing what you chaps are going through I think we are in Heaven here. We have been lucky to see 75 this summer in the south west of England although the east gets a little better as it draws air up from the continent. Lucky to get more than a few days of sun before another rain front comes in bring it down to the 50s or 60s and wet then for a day or two.
About only one 'sticky' day so far.
I have spent a few summers in different US states running from the AC in the car to the AC in a motel or the AC in a store. Not much fun so I really feel for you guys.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe