News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A Nuts and Bolts Question

Started by Bill Ingler #7799, August 22, 2016, 08:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

In taking apart a 41 and 47, I saved most of the chassis and body bolts to use again in the car`s restoration. Cleaned up and cadmium plated, most nuts, bolt,and washers could be re-used.  Now here are my questions. On the heads of the bolts, as pictured below, are cast with a W and a C with either a 1 or 2 beside the letters. So does WC mean the maker of the bolts or something else? Does the number 1 and 2 mean a fine or course thread on the bolt. This is what I think it might mean from looking at the many different size bolts that I took off each car during tear down. Were these type bolts used in the 30`s and did it continue into the 50s?   Bill

Bobby B

Bill,
Hi. If it helps, I had posted this waaay back:

Hi. "TR" is the manufacturer ID for Towne-Robinson fasteners and some of them didn't have grade markings. Same goes for "WB" which is Wales-Beech, "EL" is Everlock-Hard, and "M" is Michigan. If you're into Corvettes, this is a big thing amongst restorers going for the Bloomington Gold Award. Hope this answers your question.
                                                                  Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

harry s

Booby, I was just getting to respond asking " where you at". I knew you had answered this some time back.       Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Ingler #7799

Thanks Bobby. Did not see your earlier posting. Any idea what the 1 or 2 means on the bolt?  Bill

Bobby B

Bill & Harry,
Hi. I always tried to get to the bottom of this mystery. I came up with a few conclusions. Early Bolts for Army use were designated with "WC" on the heads, so maybe leftover "stock" or it could possibly be the initials of W.C. Peterson of the Atlas Crucible steel foundry back in the late 20's, who were making carbon steel bolts at the time. If anybody has any insight on this, I would love to know myself. Hope all is well...
                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

David King (kz78hy)

I have some fastener part prints and the note on the print is for the bolt manufacturer to mark the head with their ID.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter