News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 cadillac hearse brakes

Started by 60eldo, August 22, 2016, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Can someone tell me what Im missing here. Do I need a master cyl. or a booster, or both and where can I find one please
Jon. Klu

Walter Youshock

First thing you need is the shop manual.  The booster is a Bendix hydro vac on the cowl.  The master cylinder I'd mounted to the frame.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TJ Hopland

Is that the year (or one of em?) where the whole assembly was mounted vertical vs. horizontal like you would typically expect? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

Your booster is missing.  Couldn't see the photos before.  These brake systems were marginal at best and require a lot of work to get correct.  You DEFINITELY want the brakes on a hearse to be in top shape. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Ok, I think I found the master cyl. Am I right or wrong. I crawled under the drivers side just behind the left front wheel I looked up and on the inside of the frame I think I see it. So theres no booster?
Jon. Klu

Walter Youshock

You should be able to see it from the engine compartment with the booster out of the way.  The rod from the brake pedal connects directly to the master cylinder.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham