News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2017 CT6

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, August 22, 2016, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

A new CT6 is sitting at present (until 4PM) in my driveway. We got to drive it as a loaner while my ATS is being cleaned and detailed. In driving it 25 miles home, I found it to be not as agile as the ATS and from the lowering of the gas guage, not as good on mileage.

The wide vision rear view mirror is a little disconcerting for someone that wears trifocals as I do, as you have to work at it to get focused. Very nice back-up video screen. I missed being able to throw the car into drive as I do on the ATS. Full "back" is "M" for manual and the paddles. (I wondered why it wasn't shifting and making all that noise.)

Driving it was an interesting experience but I don't think I'd buy one even if I had the money. The ATS is more fun and easier to handle. I'll "dare greatly" in the ATS.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

Hi Barry,

Your review brings to my mind several mental notes that occurred to me some time ago.  Now at age 70, I find a smaller car less daunting to maneuver... so that the refinements and comfortable ride that one is afforded in "small size" lux-sedans seems far more attractive when compared to the larger (full) sized cars. Think of how many decades post WW II ladies and gentlemen had to struggle with no power brakes, steering, windows, etc. moving in and out of parking spaces...and how so many driving assists became available-- first with the top of the line American cars and then with much lesser marques.  And how we all marveled at just how little road feel and how extraordinarily insulated we were in our big full sized Cadillacs... seems as if in a moment, everything changed. 

Scot Minesinger

To each their own, I would rather drive a larger car.  My 1970 Cadillac handles just find, so I'm sure the CT6 handling would meet my needs.  My 89 year old 5'-1" grandmother had no problem maneuvering here 1973 SDV, accordingly a CT6 should not be an issue for me.  The ATS is a great looking car, and so is the CT6.  I have to drive full size pickup trucks sometimes for work, so most all cars seem small and nimble.  My neighbor drives a black CT6 w/3.6 and it is stunning - just beautiful.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fellenzer

Barry, interesting review. Is it what you might have expected for a larger car than what you are used to or have they re-engineered everything again?

Have they given us the ability to select the ride/handling yet?

I had to chuckle when I read "easier to handle" which is why the Seville was so popular with some crowds. What goes around comes around. LOL
Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

Barry M Wheeler #2189

What happened on the way out of town to return the CT6... I was trying to do something, I can't remember what, and must have pulled the shift lever past D, as I kept getting a notice on the dash that "do not exceed 18 MPH." I finally got hold of the dealership (I remembered the rental agreement in my pocket finally that had the phone # on it...) My salesman was finally located and told me how to get it out of manual shift. Never so glad to turn a car in, in my life. Oh, looked in the glove box and found the window sticker. I'd mentally guessed 73K. I was off by ten grand. $83,470 I think.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Schuman

My experience and opinion of recent Cadiilac models differs greatly from that of my friend Barry, even though we are of about the same vintage. In late 2012 I bought a 2013 ATS after reading the rave reviews in various car magazines. It did handle wonderfully, but that was offset by lack of interior room, especially in the rear seat, a small trunk, and a hard ride. Eleven months later I traded it for a 2014 XTS V Sport sedan, Cadillac's largest car at that time, which for my taste has been a far more enjoyable ride.

I am amazed that his dealer has a new CT6 sedan for loaner service, as I have only seen a few CT6 cars here. A CT6 may be my next car if is as big an improvement over the XTS as it appears to be. With a wheelbase almost eleven inches longer than the XTS it will hopefully have a much smoother ride quality.

Cadillac makes different cars for different tastes, and it seems the automotive tastes of Barry and myself vary a lot. No right or wrong here, just different tastes.

A previous Cadillac, a 2005 STS sedan, is in my view one of the best Cadillac sedans ever, especially considering it was a totally new design for 2005. They got everything right on that car, and my present XTS, while nice, does not quite measure up to that STS. Maybe the CT6 will equal or exceed the "Cadillac feel" of that car.

Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It's funny, Bob. But even at $83K, that CT6 didn't feel as "Cadillac style" as my wife's 1979 Fleetwood Brougham. Now THAT's a Cadillac. At least they had it "right" for those three years of '77/'78/& '79. You don't have to mess with the heater controls (I heard about you and Terry working all one Saturday to "fix" yours to your satisfaction.) It's quiet, even after thirty seven years, and extremely well built. To build one of that quality and dependability these days I imagine would run well over $125K.

In comparison, the CT6 was merely a car... A luxurious one to be sure. But I don't want to go back to school just to learn how to drive one.  (There WILL be a test.) I told the loaner girl that this was NOT a car to give out to drive to older people with other things on their mind. Maybe next time I'll be like Michael Douglas in "THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT."
"All I want is a plain old Chevy."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Barry,

That manual shift feature easily accidentally triggered has been around for over a decade.  My Dodge Charger w/hemi I bought eleven years ago has it.  Now I don't want to shift, when the computer will do a way better job.  One time a decade ago it went into the mode unintentionally and I learned why and made sure not to do it again, or if I did knew how to change it back.  I think operator error is a little harsh criticism on this or any car.  The people that buy them probably want it. 

If Cadillac did not do this, then they would not be competitive. 

There is a gentlemen on the forum who just bought a CT6 (late delivery) and he likes it.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Scott, my car has the manual shift to one side, so that there is almost no chance of it slipping into manual mode. I simply didn't like having to watch what I was doing each time I put the car in gear. Your hand covers up the red lights on the shift lever and the visual indicator was small and out of the way.

If I had had more time, I would probably played with the car more, but when I need a "loaner" from the dealership at my age, I want one I can drive without "going to school." We had shopping to do and traffic in our town is horrendous due to major construction, and I was quite aware of the chance of "bending the bird."

I also had to put in $11.00 worth of gas to fill it up for a fifty mile round trip which included mostly highway driving. Either I didn't get a car with a full tank or it's a gas guzzler. That's nearly half a tank's worth on the ATS.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Big Apple Caddy

Perhaps you would have been more content, if at all, in a cheaper CT6 (starting sticker price is $54,490) with less gadgets than the more expensive one with added gadgets.

As far as fuel economy, EPA ratings for the CT6 and ATS are actually pretty similar with same engine/drive.  Examples:

2017 ATS with 2.0 L turbo is rated 22 city and 31 highway
2017 CT6 with the same engine is 22 city and 30 highway

2017 ATS AWD with 3.6 L V6 is rated 19 city and 27 highway
2017 CT6 AWD with same engine is rated 18 city and 27 highway

Even the CT6 AWD with 3.0 L V6 turbo isn't bad at 18 city and 26 highway.   Again, EPA ratings.

Scot Minesinger

Barry,

Every daylight savings time, I have to get the owner's manual (not shop) for my eleven year old Dodge, sort thru which of the seven radios with six pages of instructions each, figure out which one I have and read for about twenty minute to change my clock setting.  On my 1970 Cadillac, no thinking, just turn the knob.  Consequently I don't bother and live with it being off an hour for half the year until one of my teenagers is a captive passenger and they set it for me.  I think you are right all cars need to revisit a much more intuitive mode of operation which does not require a read of the manual, which no one will do.  However, for well over a decade now that is how cars are made.

Obviously you did not start out with a full tank, as driving 50 miles at a cost of $11 is about on a par with my 1970 Cadillac.

Most of the members on the forum have been disappointed that Cadillac has not offered a large RWD sedan, and now they finally have.  I think your critique is unkindly harsh. 

Glad you are happy with your ATS.  Given the choice between an ATS and a CT6 loaner, I think most readers would rather drive the CT6.  The important aspect of newer cars is the looks, drivetrain, and how it drives more so that a few difficult for new driver features to learn.