News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle instrument cluster

Started by jmscan06, August 22, 2016, 08:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmscan06

I'm interested in talking to somebody who has removed their instrument cluster.

John

Steve Passmore

I have most of the dash out from a 39 Cadillac which is similar if it helps you. What do you need to know?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

jmscan06

Steve: I want to know the best way to remove with out taking the dashboard apart. 

John

Bob Schuman

John,
There is no best way, it is a miserable job, but it can be done. Several years ago I removed the entire dash of my 40 LaSalle just to get the instrument cluster out for rebuilding. In retrospect, I think I should have just removed the cluster as you want to do.

As I remember, there is one nut at each end of the cluster that holds it onto brackets that ar part of the dash. Before removing them, tag all wires and light sockets , then disconnect them from the instruments,  so you can reconnect them properly later. Unscrew the speedometer cable connection  and unscrew the small fitting attaching the oil pressure line to its gauge. Remove the trip odometer cable from the bottom of the dash-it does not come out of the speedometer. With the wires, speedometer cable, and oil line moved out of the way the complete cluster can be removed from the back side of the dash.

If you are young and agile this job should not be too bad. If older and less agile, it will border on torture.

Bob Schuman

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Bob Schuman

John,

One thing I forgot to mention is removal of the brake and clutch pedals to make it less uncomfortable working under the dash. They remove easily, by removing the bolt that holds each pedal shank into the mating arms in the engine compartment Remove those bolts, then inside the car twist and pull and the pedals will come out. Mark them, because I'm not sure the two pedals are exactly the same.

Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

tturley

I am 72 and removed mine and took to McVey for a rebuild. It turned out great.
To make it a little easier I took out the front seat so I could at least lay flat. Seat comes out easily with just four bolts, even with seat out it is torture.

While I had seat out I moved it back two inches to get a little more driver room.

Bob covered everything well but if I remember right there was two nuts on one side and one on the other. There is also a wiring harness attached to the top of the cluster, it has a wire loop and you just have to just turn it down.
My car is a 40 Lasalle.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

jmscan06

Thanks you for all of the good suggestions.  Tom when you removed your cluster did you have to move the headlight switch out of the way? 

John

tturley

No- I just turned it around until it came out.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave