News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

DTS 2011 Platinum - New Tires

Started by fellenzer, August 22, 2016, 06:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fellenzer

Greetings,

Shopping for new tires for my 2011 DTS Platinum and think I have arrived at Michelin Defender. Current tire size is 245/50/18 (stock) and I'm thinking of going with 225/55/18 in a T speed rating. I do not drive aggressively. My primary concern is having a soft and quiet ride. The original Bridgestone Turanza's are loud in my opinion and they have never been able to get them balanced right. I bought the car a year ago and have put 10K on the car, now at 40K. The narrower tire is less than a tenth of an inch different in diameter. If I sacrifice a little "performance" handling in favor of soft and quiet, I'm all for it. Getting ready to head to the east coast in a couple of weeks and I'll be damned if I'm going to vibrate all the way to Delaware again.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

P.S. Never buy a car from Lindsay Cadillac Arlington, VA. <wink>
Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

Scot Minesinger

That complaint has come up with my friends who own recent model Cadillacs, the quality of the original equipment tires is terrible.  I would buy same size tires, high quality.  State your concerns to the tire salesman and say if it duplicates this ride, you will want my money back. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

fellenzer

I want my DTS to ride like my Eldorado! <wink>
Indianapolis, IN
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

STS05lg

Michael, like Scot said go with quality replacement tires in the factory size. Also you may want to pull the CarFax. At 40,000 miles the front hubs and motor mounts should have been replaced on the last generation DTS. Lindsay Cadillac usually has already replaced those items on certified pre-owned. But due to your mileage being just at the threshold they may have not. Again highly recommend you stay with the factory size. Best, Lynn

fellenzer

Lynn, it has another year on the certification and I'm planning on taking it in soon for a couple other annoying things they haven't been able to fix yet (sun roof rattles, home link won't stay seated) so I'll ask about the hubs and mounts. Thanks for the head's-up.
Indianapolis, IN
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

Bill Ingler #7799

My 2013 XTS had probably the worst set of tires I have ever had on a new car. I buy all my replacement tires from Discount Tire here in Phoenix. Told them my problem and they put on a set of Pirelli 245/45 R19. What a difference in the ride and a very quite tire.   Bill

john estes

I work in the service department of a Cadillac dealership and have installed many sets of Michelin Defenders. I have not had any negative feed back about these tires. I have driven all the cars that I have installed tires on and I think you will be happy with the Defenders.
John Estes

fellenzer

Thanks. Did the deed this afternoon. First time they did a terrible job with balancing but they quickly had me back on the road properly balanced. Haven't driven but about 20 miles and the initial impressions are good. Much nicer ride. I intentionally got "into it" on a couple of corners and performance is just fine. The noise is only a few decibels less at highway speed which is disappointing, but that damn vibration is finally gone and the ride is much more comfortable.
Indianapolis, IN
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX