News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel and oil considerations at altitude for flathead V8

Started by HerbP, August 24, 2016, 11:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HerbP

I've hummed and hawed and finally signed the paperwork and will soon have a restored 1940 LaSalle Series 50 in my garage...oh yeah!

My question today (I'm sure there will be more, but I really do try to mine the forum before asking) involves fuel and oil additives...are they necessary?

I live in Denver and plan to drive the car to shows, do cruises, etc in the fair weather months. 

Do I need to find alcohol-free fuel?
Should I routinely use a fuel additive?
Will an oil additive be a good idea?

Thanks all...I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride.  :)
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)

tturley

Congrats on your new Lasalle. I have a 1940 model 5019 that I take to a lot of shows and cruises here in KC. I just finished the restoration last fall.

I don't know if it is needed but I do use corn fee gas that is offered at lots of stations here and add a bottle of lead additive and octane booster.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

HerbP

Quote from: tturley on August 25, 2016, 12:02:10 AM
Congrats on your new Lasalle. I have a 1940 model 5019 that I take to a lot of shows and cruises here in KC. I just finished the restoration last fall.

I don't know if it is needed but I do use corn fee gas that is offered at lots of stations here and add a bottle of lead additive and octane booster.
Thanks Tom.  Do you add any additives to your oil as well?
I've seen a lot of posts about zinc, 'Miracle Oil" and the like and am getting a little lost...heh.
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

Bobby B

Herb,
My advice....
If available, I would definitely use ethanol-free fuel. Unfortunately New Jersey doesn't have it any where near my area.
No harm in adding some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) when you fill up. Helps keep upper end lubed & other little benefits.
Use oil with a high content of ZDDP or add it to your favorite oil. I use Valvoline VR1, Joe Gibbs, or Brad Penn. Easier to buy one of those oils with it already mixed in, than adding it to a modern oil which requires mixing it in a pot with your non-ZDDP oil and warming it up so it doesn't stay in suspension.

Hope this answers some of your Flathead mystery questions. Good luck!
                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Hansen

Herb,

Congratulations on your new LaSalle!

Join your local chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club.  The Rocky Mountain Region is very active and their members can tell you how to make your LaSalle thrive at altitude.  John Washburn, a Rocky Mountain Region member who frequents this forum, has been touring in his LaSalle for a number of years.  Definitely a guy you'll want to get to know!

http://rmrclc.com/

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

HerbP

Quote from: Jeff Hansen on August 28, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
Herb,

Congratulations on your new LaSalle!

Join your local chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club.  The Rocky Mountain Region is very active and their members can tell you how to make your LaSalle thrive at altitude.  John Washburn, a Rocky Mountain Region member who frequents this forum, has been touring in his LaSalle for a number of years.  Definitely a guy you'll want to get to know!

http://rmrclc.com/

HTH,
Jeff
Hello Jeff, thanks!  I have sent in the RMRCLC paperwork and joined the local and national clubs.  I do look forward to meeting folks and learning the ins and outs of these automobiles!
Cheers,
Herb
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

HerbP

Quote from: Bobby B on August 28, 2016, 09:46:14 AM
Herb,
My advice....
If available, I would definitely use ethanol-free fuel. Unfortunately New Jersey doesn't have it any where near my area.
No harm in adding some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) when you fill up. Helps keep upper end lubed & other little benefits.
Use oil with a high content of ZDDP or add it to your favorite oil. I use Valvoline VR1, Joe Gibbs, or Brad Penn. Easier to buy one of those oils with it already mixed in, than adding it to a modern oil which requires mixing it in a pot with your non-ZDDP oil and warming it up so it doesn't stay in suspension.

Hope this answers some of your Flathead mystery questions. Good luck!
                                                                                               Bobby
Super helpful, thanks Bobby!
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Herb,

Lots of questions with no easy answers.

When you get the car drop me a e-mail and perhaps we can get together and chat about the best way to maintain the LaSalle for great driving pleasure.

John Washburn
john.washburn47email addresses not permitted
Elizabeth, Colorado
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

HerbP

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on August 28, 2016, 08:30:22 PM
Herb,

Lots of questions with no easy answers.

When you get the car drop me a e-mail and perhaps we can get together and chat about the best way to maintain the LaSalle for great driving pleasure.

John Washburn
john.washburn47email addresses not permitted
Elizabeth, Colorado
Thank you John, I'll do that!
I saw you at the golf course today, nice Caddy and Lasalle!
Cheers,
Herb (also in Elizabeth)
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Herb,

Great that should make getting together a lot easier.

My buddy won second place with his Chevy panel truck.

Nice no pressure show.

Talk to you soon.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

HerbP

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on August 28, 2016, 09:39:36 PM
Herb,

Great that should make getting together a lot easier.

My buddy won second place with his Chevy panel truck.

Nice no pressure show.

Talk to you soon.

The Johnny
I loved that panel, the smoothie running boards were a great touch and a very nice interior too!  I talked to him a bit, very nice car and also a nice guy.  Tell him congratz!
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

Bobby B

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

HerbP

1940 LaSalle 5019