News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sources for literature, manuals, etc

Started by HerbP, August 25, 2016, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HerbP

I'm just starting to collect my library of manuals, etc for my '40 LaSalle and I am finding a lot of on-line purveyors for them.  I'd like to avoid the scam artists and low-quality suppliers. 

Does have a suggestion for reliable sources?
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Faxon's two volume set of body and chassis Master Parts lists will be invaluable. It will include most 1940 parts for your LaSalle. Of course, you can buy CDs with this info, but having something in your hand has always suited my needs better. You also need a Shop Manual for 1940 and a GM Body manual for the same year. And don't forget the LaSalle book listed on our CLC home page. You also need to join our Club as the Directory you will receive will list all the members who own a car like yours.

Please be advised that MOST members do not regularly (or never) use this Forum, so you need a way to contact them. 99% or more of our members love to talk about their cars and if you don't call at dinner or bedtime, most welcome cold calls of a hobby nature. You will find that owners of cars like yours are a good source of finding that "last" part that you need as they (usually) are older and have been collecting parts for years. They are generally cheaper than people in the business of selling antique car parts. Welcome and good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jdemerson

Herb,

One good suggestion is John Troxel's literature:
http://www.autopaper.com/about-troxels.php

His quality is good; he has an enormous collection because he bought Johnson's literature in Wellesley when Bob Johnson died; and his prices are fair (not cheap, but lower than some other large dealers). Plus John is an enthusiast -- a real car guy.

That said, for your LaSalle I'd start by searching eBay. Often you can get a nice piece at a decent price from a private seller.  I've never been cheated in an eBay purchase -- probably because they have built-in safeguards and every transaction gets rated. Always look for a seller with a 99% or higher positive rating on eBay.

Here is the search string I would use on eBay:
1940 laSalle (brochure,brochures,catalog,folder,manual)

Good luck!
John Emerson

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Bobby B

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on August 25, 2016, 10:53:47 AM
Faxon's two volume set of body and chassis Master Parts lists will be invaluable. It will include most 1940 parts for your LaSalle. Of course, you can buy CDs with this info, but having something in your hand has always suited my needs better. You also need a Shop Manual for 1940 and a GM Body manual for the same year. And don't forget the LaSalle book listed on our CLC home page. You also need to join our Club as the Directory you will receive will list all the members who own a car like yours.

Please be advised that MOST members do not regularly (or never) use this Forum, so you need a way to contact them. 99% or more of our members love to talk about their cars and if you don't call at dinner or bedtime, most welcome cold calls of a hobby nature. You will find that owners of cars like yours are a good source of finding that "last" part that you need as they (usually) are older and have been collecting parts for years. They are generally cheaper than people in the business of selling antique car parts. Welcome and good luck.

I second Faxon. Been using them for years. Also good luck with Bisko Literature. All good people......
                                                                                                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

jdemerson

If you are looking for a new REPRODUCTION of a manual, Faxon's is fine and I am very happy with one of their manuals for my '52.

If you want an original and care about authenticity, then the message I posted above may be helpful. I'm happy to have an original Service Manual in very good (not perfect) condition.

John Emerson

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Walter Youshock

Walter Miller in Syracuse always had a great selection and good quality original pieces.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

HerbP

Wow, great suggestions...thank you all!

BTW: I am in the process of joining the national club and also a local chapter, so I look forward to speaking with and meeting y'all at the local and national events!

Cheers!
Herb
8)
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

Walter Youshock

Like everything else, quality original will command a higher price.  Buying sight unseen may not be what you want to do. 

Many literature dealers set up at Carlisle and Hershey.  If you're in the northeast, try to look there and get an idea of what pieces you may want and get a feel for the prices.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

HerbP

Quote from: Walter Youshock on August 25, 2016, 05:54:24 PM
Like everything else, quality original will command a higher price.  Buying sight unseen may not be what you want to do. 

Many literature dealers set up at Carlisle and Hershey.  If you're in the northeast, try to look there and get an idea of what pieces you may want and get a feel for the prices.
Thank you Walter.  You are right about my being a bit leery about purchasing sight unseen, however being in Denver traveling to the NE is a bit of a reach...as long as I want to remain employed anyway.  :)

1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!

tturley

Herb
Welcome to the club. I just finish restoration of a 1940 5019 touring  sedan that I purchased a little over a year ago out of a barn in rural Kansas.

In addition to the shop manual the authenticity guide I purchased from the club was great reference material. The best part is the knowledgeable people on this forum that have been there and done that answering about any other question you might have.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

HerbP

Quote from: tturley on August 25, 2016, 09:31:36 PM
Herb
Welcome to the club. I just finish restoration of a 1940 5019 touring  sedan that I purchased a little over a year ago out of a barn in rural Kansas.

In addition to the shop manual the authenticity guide I purchased from the club was great reference material. The best part is the knowledgeable people on this forum that have been there and done that answering about any other question you might have.
Thanks Tom, I agree!
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!