News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rochester Quadro jet Carb

Started by cadillacrandy, August 26, 2016, 08:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacrandy

I have a 76 eldorado. I have noticed a lot of varnish/gunk on the outside of the carburetor so I am figuring the internal parts of the carb has some built up of the same. I have considered doing a rebuild myself or purchasing a rebuilt one. The problem or issues I have in rebuilding it myself is that it looks pretty complex for my skill level. The issues I am having with purchasing a rebuilt one from someone is that I don't know of a reliable company that has them.
What are your thoughts or recommendation?

Thanks. 

Bobby B

Take it off, drain it, box it, and send it here. You'll get it back like brand new, bolt it back on, and never touch it again. Super reasonable, and you won't be disappointed. Haven't come across anyone better with the Rochester. I've recommended other people on the forum to try him, and they have all thanked me. Joe is good people. Does every carb himself. Good Luck....
                                                                                  Bobby

http://www.carburetorusa.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

Assuming its never been modified or abused in the past its not too bad of a job.   There are quite a few parts but if you work in something like a cookie sheet so nothing rolls away and gets lost its doable.  Most of the stuff only fits in one spot one direction. 

Problem comes in if its been poorly modified or abused, that is where experience, skills, and possibly tools come in.  The average person just doesn't see enough of these to know at a glance if something is right or wrong. 

A common place for wear is throttle shaft bushings.  Wear there can cause a vacuum leak and sometimes interfere with the high idle and choke working correctly.  You can buy the special drill bits and bushings to fix that yourself but unless you have several carbs to do it may not make sense cost wise.

A good shop can put things back right that are wrong and easily deal with things like worn bushings and damaged fuel inlet threads.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason