News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to identify a numbers matching Cadillac

Started by KeithM, August 26, 2016, 10:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithM

I am Currently considering purchasing a 67' Eldorado. I am trying to verify if the vehicle is numbers matching. I have photographed the Vin #, cowl tag and engine casting number behind the intake manifold. I am attaching these photos for anyone on the forum you can help me verify whether this vehicle is numbers. I suspect it is but I need to verify for sure before purchasing. Thank you in advance for any help. The engine casting #'s are hard to read but I believe they are 1485750 or possibly the last # Maybe an 8

m-mman

'Numbers matching' is a phrase that means both everything and nothing.

In the Corvette world it means that the date codes on the alternator, water pump, distributor, etc. match with the production date of the car.  This standard is used in intensive judging competition.

In some worlds 'numbers matching' means was the car restored to match the paint colors and interior trim (cloth vs leather) that it was originally built with.

In its lowest meaning, do the numbers on the title and paperwork match the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the car. In any car buying situation one should always verify that these numbers match.

So to answer your question . . . what does "numbers matching" mean to you?
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

chrisntam

I assume he means does the car have the original engine & trans.

Numbers matching was important to me when I bought my '70.  For some in the Cadillac community, it doesn't add value, I think it does.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that engine (429?) and where (and if) there is a serial number stamp on the engine/trans.

Suggest you change the title of your post to include 1967 Eldorado so you'll draw in those folks.

Like How to tell if the original engine & trans is in a '67 eldo, or something like that.

On my '70, the VIN  is stamped lightly (hard to see) on the back of the block where the transmission bolts to it.  It would be the same number that is on the door sticker and on the dash (visible through the windshield).
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas