News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Joining the 4100 Club!

Started by fellenzer, August 28, 2016, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fellenzer

Greetings,

Well, for better or worse, I've joined the 4100 club with the purchase of an '84 Seville. Pending name, Scarlet.

I took delivery in rural northern Indiana and didn't have a great deal of time to prepare for the 135-mile trip back to Indianapolis today.

Previous service information was lacking but the car did get a good review from a local mechanic at the seller's location which I paid for prior to purchase. I'm hoping to get the car in to my mechanic soon to look things over and see what needs to be done. Overall, things seem to be in good shape. I checked and topped off all fluids and after some searching and advice from a couple of friends, put in a bottle of Bar's Leaks PELLETIZED RADIATOR STOP LEAK. It was the closest I could come to what I've read here on the forum and other places that was available locally. I hope that was the right stuff or at least helpful. I also added a can of Sea Foam to a tank of premium gas and 4 ounces to the crank case.

If someone "in the know" could please take a look at the Bar's website and let us know which of their current products we should be using in these engines it would be very helpful. http://barsleaks.com/our-products/?category=cooling-system-2. Or, if there is something else . . .

The trip home was mostly uneventful and we made it safely. At a minimum, I knew the AC system would need to be charged. The compressor was running and the line from the compressor was cool to the touch but not cold and the air in the cabin again was cool but not cold. After driving the car for about 10 minutes, the AC belt started to squeal. So much for just charging the system. But that's okay, we expect these things to happen. I'll just spend a little more than I intended. In Indiana, AC is a must, at least for me.

The only other immediate concern is the SES light coming on intermittently and going off. At the halfway point coming home today, it stayed off. I checked the codes when it first came on and it displayed 39 and 52. After resetting, it only displayed 39. I've poked around and I'm getting confusing information about what the codes actually mean. Several reference lists for pre-1996 vehicles suggest there should be a system code preceding the number. I'm familiar with how the code system worked in my '99 Concours but I see no system/module/function information or haven't found how to determine which system is displaying in the '84 Seville. Does anyone have a link to a list of '84 codes? My best guess is 39 is the lock up on the torque converter and 52 is power failure. Am I close?

I'm looking for a set of factory chassis manuals as there are other minor issues that need to be addressed and I know those will be an excellent reference, now and in the future. I've used them often for my '84 Riviera convertible. I expect they should be easy to find on eBay along with an original owner's manual and sales brochure.

Another immediate question as I take this car in for service . . . Which fluids to change/flush and with what? I'm planning on having full synthetic oil put in the engine. The transmission fluid is a good color and has no burnt odor. Should I change it or leave good enough alone?

At 96K, the car runs and shifts as it should and smoothly. Starts right up, idles high for a few seconds and then settles right down. I don't want to screw anything up. Electrical systems all seem to work correctly except the power antenna (I've changed those before) and the delay wiper function. Cruise control will also need to be addressed. It does set, but no higher than 50 mph and gradually losses speed. Pushing resume/accel results in momentary acceleration only. Vacuum issues?

Interior is nearly flawless but I do need a set of carpet savers. Exterior is in pretty good condition. There are a few paint chips and two very minor dings that PDR should take care of. Also a couple of very minor scratches that I may or may not have repaired. There is evidence of some previous paint work but it looks very good. I'll seek some guidance from my paint guy.

For my purposes of an occasional driver for fun, this car fits the bill well. In the 12 years I've had my Riviera convertible I've averaged about 1,500 miles per year. So far this year, I've put about 1,200 on the '76 Eldorado convertible I purchased in April. I expect to put around 500 miles per year on the Seville.

Any guidance and advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Michael Fellenzer, #30007
Indianapolis, IN
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1976 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham (EFI, ACRS)
1976 Coupe deVille (Astro/Cabriolet)
1984 Seville
1989 Fleetwood Coupe
1989 Sedan deVille
1992 Fleetwood
1992 Coupe deVille
1992 Sedan deVille
1993 Sixty Special (Ultra)
1994 Fleetwood Brougham
2015 SRX

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Congratulations and enjoy!!!