News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

CT6 Best car GM has ever made

Started by Scot Minesinger, August 28, 2016, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

In the Washington (DC) Post today at end of Sports section is the article about how the Cadillac CT6 is the best sedan GM has ever made and it is a highly recommended buy. 

The car as tested was the 4 cylinder with some nice options.  The author writes a column every Sunday on various cars, and the CT6 was the subject of this article.  This paper is by far the dominant newspaper in the area, just like the New York Times is to NYC.  The only complaint was that the marketing of it by Cadillac stinks, but the car was great.  Have not read anything published but glowing positives on this car.

I hope this starts a move back to luxury market dominance by Cadillac.

Drive your Cadillac today!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TonyZappone #2624

After a month, I have 2600 miles on my new CT6 platinum.  Every day I take the car out for an hour or so and just drive around.  Although there are many new things to learn, I am fascinated by the car.  For a car  nut, and an ex GM dealer, I agree with the writer.  I think its great too.  Moreover, I don't think I have learned half of the  things in the owners manual at this point.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

jdemerson

Scot, thanks for posting this evaluation; I would have missed it. It is very encouraging that the CT6 is getting this kind of favorable review. The 400 h.p. twin-turbo V6 in the Platinum model seems like a most impressive very high-end car. But even the 4 cylinder Turbo is no slouch.

For those who are waiting for a V8, this review is especially encouraging. The new Escala, if Cadillac decides to bring it out, will be based largely on the CT6. But it has a 5-inch longer wheelbase and is 6 inches longer and 2.5 inches wider. It may have a 4.2 liter twin-turbo V8.

It seems plausible that Cadillac is moving in the direction many on this Forum have suggested they would like to see, while still using state-of-the-art technology.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Regarding Cadillac's direction in the coming years, a recent post on The Detroit Bureau website by Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen stated plans as follows:

A flagship which will NOT be a 4 door sedan;
A large crossover beneath Escalade;
A compact crossover beneath XT5;
A comprehensive enhancement to CT6 later during life cycle;
A major refresh for XTS;
A new Lux 3 sedan entry;
A new Lux 2 sedan entry.

The "major refresh of the XTS" is a bit surprising as previous plans were to discontinue that model at the end of its current run.   Also, since the flagship won't be a 4 door sedan, I wonder if it will be a sports or luxury coupe/convertible or an SUV above Escalade?   I know de Nysschen has talked about wanting to do a Cadillac sports car in the past.

Scot Minesinger

A flagship that is not a 4 door sedan sounds good provided it is not a crossover or an SUV.  I think there is a demand (not from me or most car people) for FWD and so the XTS may remain, that is OK too.  Glad the flagship is at the top of the list, hope it was not just how Big Apple Caddy typed it.  After all, you can't sell the 2 and 3 series without an impressive Flagship.

Wonder why the Escala was shown if it is not in the near future?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

There are a couple AWD vehicles here, neither is my car.  I have concluded
if I do make a generation leap, all the wheels will be driven.  But that CT6
is $90K or so; I have better things to spend that cash on.  Bruce Roe

TonyZappone #2624

The only way they would build the Platinum series was AWD.  RWD was not available to me.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Bill Ingler #7799

Tony:  The only big complaint I have had with my 2013 XTS is the QUE system. It is not difficult to understand but my big objection is it makes you take your eyes off the road just to change most settings on navigation, climate controls, radio and telephone. Several years ago they said there would be more use of voice recognition in using the QUE. Has this happened? One feature of the QUE I like and that is the heads up display for certain items which are projected on the windshield.  You can see such things as your speed as well as the posted speed for that particular road. With the heads up display you can still keep your eyes looking straight ahead.  As a retired Air Force pilot I could reach with my hands to change most all the gadjets I needed to fly the plane without taking my eyes off from looking outside the plane or using my flight instruments in weather. It was not too long ago that you had levers or knobs to push or pull in your car while keeping your eyes on the road. I miss my levers and knobs.     Bill

TonyZappone #2624

Again, I have not nearly learned all the things the car can do.  But with one touch of a button on the steering wheel, I can call up any radio station, (am fm, smx) by voice command, make a phone call, request a destination.  To answer your question, I think there has been improvement.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

jdemerson

Thanks to Scot Minesinger for pointing to the Detroit Bureau article on future Cadillac models. It includes a fairly specific response just below the article from Johan de Nysschen.  Here is the link; have a look:
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2016/08/expansive-cadillac-product-plan-getting-squeezed/

The comments by de Nysschen do make it seem very unlikely that we will see a production version of the beautiful Escala as a flagship. A stretched CT6 with the 400 h.p. twin turbo V6 seems more realistic. And even that would appear a few years away. We will see how successful the CT6 turns out to be... I personally think it is a winner. And I also think that the current model CTS is a world-class car. The CTS-V is "over the top", but who has something within $10,000 that can beat it?

Here is Vermont, we do have winter and we have a lot of trucks, SUVs, and CUVs. I'd prefer a CT6 with AWD, traction control, ABS, four-wheel steering, smart cruise control, etc. to any of the trucks/SUV/CUV models. I guess I think of a model like the CT6 as a "proper" successor to the 1952 Cadillac!  Of course it doesn't "gurgle" at idle like the 331 in the '52...

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 29, 2016, 05:51:53 PMA flagship that is not a 4 door sedan sounds good provided it is not a crossover or an SUV.
I don't think it will be a crossover or SUV, at least I hope it won't be.  I think he would like to market something to more or less compete with sports cars like the Audi (his former employer) R8.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 29, 2016, 05:51:53 PMWonder why the Escala was shown if it is not in the near future?
Perhaps it was simply meant to show or get reaction to potential style cues of future Cadillacs.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: bcroe on August 29, 2016, 09:59:27 PMI have concluded if I do make a generation leap, all the wheels will be driven.  But that CT6 is $90K or so; I have better things to spend that cash on.

You can get a nicely equipped AWD CT6 for under $57K sticker, much less than $90K.

J.C.

I have an order in for a 2017 CT6 Hybrid - can't wait to get it!  But I still have no pricing or options, nor do I know when the car will actually be available.  I just paid the $1,000 to my local dealer for a place in line.  I hope Cadillac will keep this CT6 Hybrid going and not drop it like they did the ELR (which I already have).  Of course, better yet would be a full electric - which Tesla has proven there's a market for!
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge