News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Driveshaft question

Started by camelot, August 30, 2016, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelot

I've heard plenty of people talk about  how dissatisfied they are when they get their car back from the mechanic. So I guess its my fault it happened since I've done the job before many years ago and decided to let someone else do it. I took my  62 sdv in to have the suspension done over with new bushings ball joints and springs. The business has been around for 50 years plus. Well I got it back with mainly 2 issues. One of which was a dented driveshaft, broken center brg and a bad vibration.  I replaced the center brg and the vibration is still bad. So back it went to the garage. I got a call today saying they will replace the half shaft rear section but it won't have the rubber joint on the rear yoke portion of the shaft. So my question is Should I expect some level of vibration. I mean barely negligible. If it is balanced properly I don't expect much at all. Has anyone done away with it? The MPL says only 61& 62 fit. Tough choice for any original  replacement to be good or available. And yes I've learned my  lesson.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

62 driver

Did they shim your drive shaft to take out the vibration out? I would find a good use shaft if I was you. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

camelot

I'm gonna look around for an original one. With only 2 yrs fitting I don't have much faith. There were 2 fork type shims in there and I put them back. With new springs I expect to have to play around a bit with the shims. I bought the springs from a well known mfg that was recommended here. The front ride height is at 8-1/2 " I called to verify correct springs and was confirmed correct. The car has air. I hope it settles in a bit. Haven't checked rear height yet as coils were not seated properly when I got it back. That issue is supposed to be resolved. Waiting to get it back.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Alex,
Did you get my email??
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

camelot

Yes believe I did. I answered you. That I was waiting to get the car back.  Hope you got it.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

camelot

1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

SixDucks

Hi Alex,

Within the first year or so of resurrecting my '62 Fleetwood my center bearing for the driveshaft failed. At that time I replaced the bearing and mount, the U-joints,  converted the rear driveshaft to a one piece, and had the assembly balanced. I did not experience any vibration in the drivetrain after the updates.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

camelot

I believe my vibration issue is the change in ride height from the new springs. The car came up a considerable amount even though I questioned the vendor afterward.    I believe it is a pinion angle issue now.  It is a work in progress. Thanks for posting your results.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w