News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

shipper recommendations

Started by Dulcidog2, August 31, 2016, 09:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

Hi Looking to Have a car brought from Michigan to CT. I've  spoke to a few brokers.and dispatchers and it makes my head spin. Any good/bad experiences to share?
Thanks -Bill L -14869

76eldo

Bill,

Honestly the best way if to try Uship.com and weed through the brokers until you get an actual driver or owner/operator.

I worked on Joe Locandro's 60 convertible, prepping the car for a RT 66 tour from Chicago to The Pacific ocean.  The car was picked up in my area near Phila, PA and delivered to Chicago.  Joe's friend, a non car person, was there to receive the car at his residence in Chicago.

The lower right front fender has a 10 inch scrape at the exact spot where the little wheelwell hump inside the trailer is.  It wasn't noticed during the unloading and the person signed off on the delivery which absolves the driver of any wrongdoing.  The guy loaded the car very carefully and bent my ear for 30 min about how careful they are with collector cars and seemed like a great guy.  But yet, the car is scraped in a spot that can only have been what I suspect to be the inner wheel well inside the trailer.  1960 Caddy's are VERY wide and don't even fit well in large car carriers.

So you take your chances every single time one of these cars is moved.  I hate dealing with brokers because you never know who is getting the load, how many times it's loaded and unloaded, what it's parked under, etc.

I have shipped and received a lot of cars.  I have had them come to me with fluids dripped on them from cars above, but the driver swears the car was covered up.  I have gotten convertibles shipped with the top down and grease on the seats from a trucker climbing in or out.  I sent a car to California that was in the top front position on an open car carrier and had damage to the roof.

I guess my answer isn't very helpful but at least you know what to look for.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

NORTHPORTGUY

I 've use Noel D'Marsico proprietor of Stookey's Auto Transport a few times has not disappointed me.  908 966 1127.   noeldemarsico@verizon.net

A long island carrier Plycar 1 877 575 9229  has a good reputation and I see them at many local car shows

Intercity Lines 1 800 221 3936 is a favorite of some high profile car collector types and are at all the big events.

Ken Wiebke

76eldo

Ken

I think it's Stooney's. I have used them in the past with no issues.

It's the luck of catching someone that needs a load coming or going that fits your needs. The more flexible you are the better you can negotiate.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

Also take clear photos of every panel on the car as well hood roof and decklid.
Take interior shots and take photos of the truck license plate and also the company logo and phone number.

You may end up dealing with a broker but you can call the truck driver again if you need another tow later on.

Take photos of the car being loaded too.

Every digital photo has an embedded time stamp. It establishes that the car photos were taken minutes before the car was loaded.  Obviously make sure the clock on your camera is correct.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Yaros

Glad to see Stooney's getting recommends as of all the shippers with which I have dealt over the years, he is/was the best!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Dulcidog2 on August 31, 2016, 09:53:52 AM
Hi Looking to Have a car brought from Michigan to CT. I've  spoke to a few brokers.and dispatchers and it makes my head spin. Any good/bad experiences to share?
Thanks -Bill L -14869

I've just had our car go from Vegas to Tecoma in Washington state by truck as part of the import process to Australia.

I'm using USAtoAUS for the job and maybe they can help you.

Based here in Oz, so a bit weird getting an Aussie company to do it I suppose.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia