News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 E Brake Question

Started by Mike Wenrich #1666, August 31, 2016, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wenrich #1666

Currently doing a complete rebuild of the brake system and I have a question that I cannot find an answer to in the manuals.  The ebrake cables are held in place by a two piece dust cover and gasket that differs from side to side.  The drivers side has a bracket riveted on the inside of the backing plate with threaded holes.  The passenger side does not have that bracket, even though the part numbers for the backing plates are one number apart and marked L and R.  On the passenger side, just the backing plate is threaded. 

When I disassembled the brakes, the bolts were applied from the inside to the outside, without a nut on the backside to hold the dust cover.  The dust covers were on the inside, which matches the pattern of the gasket.  The outside cover is different.  I found other problems with the last work done, like no cotter key in the ebrake to brake shoe bolt, and cylinders that were supposed to have been rebuilt but were not, and leaked when I picked the car up, and so on.  Won't go back there but now I don't know how this is supposed to be done. 

I have a spare axle I picked up years ago that seems similar and has the bolts holding the covers going through from the outside, with the gaskets under the cover.  That rear end had been dragged and I cannot get the drums off to look at the set up in there, but it might not be correct either.  Has anyone been into one of these to know the correct assembly?  I took pictures of the two backing plates but I have had trouble posting before and am hopeful someone knows what I am asking.

Steve Passmore

I know what your asking Mike. this was the standard practise of GM brakes right across the range for many years.
I have done countless amounts but never have I seen the covers bolted through from the inside! The inner cover is part of the brake cable and cannot be removed. This sits on the back of the backing plate protruding into the plate with the gasket.  The outer cover on top bolted through to threads in the plate, sometimes reinforced, sometimes not. My guess is someone stripped the thread so fitted the nuts and did it that way around to prevent a long bolt fouling something inside.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Mike Wenrich #1666

Thanks Steve.  The threads on mine are not stripped but if you bolt from the outside, how does the inside piece stay attached without a nut?  And is there supposed to be a dust gasket on both pieces?  The only gasket I have is cut to the shape of the inside cover.  And then there is the question as to why one backing plate has the metal strap where the bolts are attached and the other does not.  It does not appear there was ever anything welded to the passenger side plate.

Steve Passmore

As I said, some are reinforced, some are not. someone may have changed a backing plate at some time.

There is no inside piece as you asked. The inner cover is part of the cable (look at my picture) Although its the inner cover it still sits on the back of the backing plate sandwiching the cable.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Mike Wenrich #1666

Steve....Mine has the inside covers and they are made as almost mirror copies of the outside.  I tried to post a picture of them but I could not.  For some reason this forum does not like my pictures as I believe the size of the picture is somehow too large.  I tried before with wheels and hubcap pictures I have for sale and needed outside help from one of the members to post some of the pictures.  But I think you might get the idea.  Maybe Cadillac installed these later due to some leakage thru this connection.  I will try to place nuts on them, either outside or inside if the nut does not interfere with the brake shoe.  One day we might get an answer to the mystery.  Thanks again for the info.  I enjoy reading your answers and expertise on these cars.

Steve Passmore

Send the pictures directly to me in a PM.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Mike Wenrich #1666

For anyone following this post, Steve Passmore had the answer.  The shell, dust covers that I found mounted inside were supposed to cover the outside where the cable goes thru the backing plate.  Mounted them last night.  He believes the difference in backing plates is likely because one of them had been replaced with an older style.  I recently received my info. regarding the build date on my car and it was Sept. of 1941.   Earlier than I thought.  And maybe left over parts from 1940.