News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The 4100 engine

Started by atime, August 27, 2016, 03:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atime

I have been out of the Cadillac scene for a while and have been looking for another one to keep for a while. I have seen several 1982-85 Eldorados and Fleetwood coupes with low miles (14,000 to 30,000) under 10K in price. These are really beautiful cars in what appears to be mint condition. I am sure this has been discussed a LOT but what are the main issues with the 4100 engine? I had a 1983 Fleetwood coupe a very long time ago and it was underpowered but otherwise a nice car. I would only be driving it maybe 1,500 miles a year. Anything to look for or should I just keep looking for a slightly older model? Thanks, Martin

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Those mint cars are a disaster waiting to happen. Unless the radiator has been flushed regularly and the pellets added to the anti-freeze, the car is ripe for the gaskets to leak and you have sludge in your oil and a ruined camshaft. There are others much more knowledgeable than I who will probably chime in relative to the engine in more detail, but there are also many nice 1979/'80/'81 Eldos and 1980/'81 Sevilles out there with more reliable powerplants.

If you must have a 4100, there are "late" production models that had vastly (?) improved engines with running improvements. The serial #s for these engines are available on the Forum. I just got them again but the slip of paper I used has (again) slipped to the bottom of the drawer I keep it in. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

The 4.1 is the worst engine Cadillac ever produced between 1902 and present in comparison to other cars at the time.  That is the primary reason those cars are so attractively priced, and because it drove terrible the likely reason for low miles.

The 4.1 is unreliable, difficult to service and horrifically underpowered.  I drove them new in 1982 and within the last year, just terrible.  Time 0-60mph with a calendar...

I would only buy a 4.1 powered Cadillac if it was going be transported by trailer exclusively or a replacement engine installed (not easy).  Otherwise run like heck away.

Seriously do a search it is well covered.  It will be difficult for you to sell if/when the time comes. 

Only buy if you are 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

JerRita

Maybe I've been lucky I have a 84 Brougham D'Elegance w/ 99K original motor In the heavy brougham it is slow I also have an 84 H and E Eldorado convertible that I bought cheap because it needed an engine I am not a mechanic of that caliber but had a new engine w/ all the upgrades installed for 2,600 and in the lighter Eldorado the performance is better I also have a 1 owner 85 Seville w/ the better 4100 It drives wonderfully All get good mileage and are easy to work on Buyer beware but I have had good service from mine JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Brett Baird

Lincoln outsold Cadillac for the first time in 1988.  Coincidence?  I think not.  The 4100 dealt a blow to Cadillac's reputation that Cadillac has never fully recovered from.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

35-709

My 1985 4100 Sedan deVille apparently didn't have the "improved" 4100 engine and after dealing with 2 engine teardowns I then had the power steering pump pulley come apart.  This failure was supposedly covered by a quiet factory recall or some such thing but my car's VIN was juuuust outside the VIN numbers included.  After much back and forth with the dealer AND the Cadillac Service Rep., they finally agreed to pay for the pulley (20 some dollars) but I had to pay for the labor ($80+).  This after experiencing the same exact failure covered in the recall.  After getting beat up by that engine and then having Cadillac cheap-out on the PS pulley, once the repairs were completed I went directly that day to the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer and traded for a Continental.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

There are a few people that have appreciated the 4100 engine, and I am not one of them, starting in 1982 when I drove one.  Hated it for lack of power - not reliability.  It is unreliable and not serviceable for the majority of owners suffering thru the experience.  My Dad got one in mid 1980's after loving (not kidding) two GM diesels, and he sold the 4.1 powered Cadillac after about six months of ownership - just hated it.

It is the reason Lincoln outsold Cadillac, Lexus came into being, Mercedes & BMW sales increased in America dramatically, and etc.  The 4.1 did so much damage to Cadillac.  Understand it was the foundation of the Northstar and etc., but I don't care it was JUNK. 

There is a reason my friend in the CLC was able to buy a pristine 1984 Eldorado last year in a beautiful steel blue with like 20k miles on it for $2,500.  If it was a RWD 1979 (425 engine) or 1990 (with 5.7) it would have been way more money.

The 4.1 could be very useful as a boat anchor, but knowing the history it would probably mess that up too.  Sorry to be so negative, but just trying to help answer your question really truthfully.  Sorry to the 4.1 owners as well, just don't like them.  Kind of mad with Cadillac for following the money, selling my Grandmother a 4.1 in 1982, and ushering in other European and Asian luxury makes during late 1980's.

Don't buy one.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty