News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

No juice 365

Started by Skwerly62, September 03, 2016, 06:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skwerly62

So I got the 58 running and timing set. Rebuilt the carb for a second time due to fuel gunk and she sounded great. All of the sudden it quit and won't start up again. I thought it might be a hot start thing so I tried again this morning with no luck. Tested for spark at the coil with no dice. (The coil was brand new) Anything else simple I should check before trying a new coil? Maybe the ceramic ballast, ign. Condenser, small starter wires, or is there a fuse? I have another coil but it's a high volt Blaster 2 which I think is too hot for a 365. Thanks in advance. Want to get her back in the garage before Hermine comes by.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

You might want to check the resistor (kick down resistor) on the fire wall that has the power lead going to the coil. If it is bad or open (the resistor) then it might cause the problem.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

J. Gomez

If you can’t get the engine starting while cranking, there are three possibilities;

1-   No +12V at the ignition coil “+” side from the solenoid.
2-   Bad/open coil.
3-   Bad/foul points.

The ballast resistor play a role after the engine starts and you release the ignition switch key from “start” position.

You will need to test the +12V path to the coil and each individual component to validate. If you suspect the coil to be the problem, best way is to replace it and retest.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Skwerly62

Thanks guys, I got a chance to poke around today. The wiring was good, the ballast was good, I swapped out the coil and no luck. Took off the dizzy cap to check points etc. which looked good except... One of the wires had worked its way off the point. Simple fix I was happy to find and she purrs like silk again. Hope to take her for a spin here shortly!
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!