News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillsc XLR

Started by don berg, September 04, 2016, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don berg

Can anyone tell me if a 2007 Cadillac XLR can be flat towed behind a class  A motorhome? Do you think the value of them will go up and be a collectable ?  Thanks  Don

Scot Minesinger

If all four wheels are on the towing dolly then it should be OK.  Don't use a two wheel dolly except for an inexpensive FWD smaller car.  The XLR is a beautiful car.  The future value is pure speculation.  I think that they are not going to be worth more than the cost new for a long time, guessing that they will not be a collectible in that sense like say a 1970 GTO.  However, it seems they will be popular and easy to enjoy in the future. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Don, I don't know the answer to your first question, but you can be assured that the XLR will never be "just a used car." First of all, it's an open car, and a two-seater as well. It'll be somewhat like Corvettes, which have never been "just a used car." But as for super-dooper status, you simply cannot "make" an instant classic that is going to be worth lots and lots of bucks. There are too many variables.

Like someone mentioned about Allantes a couple of days ago. "How the mighty have fallen." I was toying with getting one a year or so ago and luckily found another way to spend my money. Just too many things that go wrong with them.

I saw an XLR the other day at Walmart in the parking lot. Pretty car.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

The XLR is a rear drive car.  I'm always a bit confused when I see cars being flat towed behind motor homes because the automatic trans will burn up being towed in neutral with the rear wheels turning on a rwd car.

Maybe they remove the driveshaft which is not easily done on an XLR.

Value wise, should be a future winner in my opinion but they are just holding their own right now, not going up.

If they follow the track record of the Allante it won't be good but the Vette drivetrain is a big help as well as the retractable top.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

As an owner of two Allantes and an XLR, I can tell you parts and helpful experts are abundant for Allante owners, but not so much for XLRs. XLR parts are harder to find than Allante parts. And if you want to work on your own car, you need a shop manual ($375) and a Tech-2 scanner ($1000+). Allante service manuals are usually about $75 or less, and have onboard diagnostics that don't require an expensive scanner.

That said, the XLR is an amazing ride. The fact that I could sell mine now for more than I bought it a year ago is encouraging. As Brian said in this thread, "they're holding their own" nicely.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

RobW

Vette drive train? I thought they had northstars?
Rob Wirsing

don berg

Thanks for all the help guys. I can buy a XLR for just about the same price as a new Chev. which will just go down in value , so I am thinking of buying a XLR to drive everday and just keep it up and value should stay the same? Plus I can have fun with it.