News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 caddy horn issue

Started by yak, September 07, 2016, 09:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yak

hi, first post here. working on a 56 caddy 4 door has 41000 miles... anyways pulled the trans and sent it in for a rebuild and that went well but i changed the rag joint and pushed the column up a bit at the rag joint to get the rag joint in place. now the horn honks as the wheel turns. i.ve pulled the neutral switch out and it looks like the brass ring it rides  on in the column is up higher in the column than what it supposed to be? any ideas? the shaft looks like it came all the way back down to the steering box...thanks for any info

Cadillac Jack 82

Brass ring is grounding out to something.  I had a similar issue in my 54 Buick.  Make sure its not split or as you said riding too high. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

55hooptie

If it is the same as my 55, I just went through this. You will want to pull the column and inspect it. My bet is you either ripped the wire loose or it is cracked as mentioned. My brass ring was cracked  and missing part of it. I read where a guy used a piece of copper tubing to make one so that is what I did. It sleeves around a rubber bushing and was not as tight as wanted it so I dimpled it in a few areas. now it works perfect. If you cut it with a tubing cutter, only ream one end and dimple the other to keep it from sliding up or down on the rubber bushing. Solder the wire back on and put it back together. Good luck!

yak

Quote from: 55hooptie on September 09, 2016, 01:40:45 PM
If it is the same as my 55, I just went through this. You will want to pull the column and inspect it. My bet is you either ripped the wire loose or it is cracked as mentioned. My brass ring was cracked  and missing part of it. I read where a guy used a piece of copper tubing to make one so that is what I did. It sleeves around a rubber bushing and was not as tight as wanted it so I dimpled it in a few areas. now it works perfect. If you cut it with a tubing cutter, only ream one end and dimple the other to keep it from sliding up or down on the rubber bushing. Solder the wire back on and put it back together. Good luck!

good thanks, i have plans to pull the steering column out soon and see what happened, prettey sure that brass ring at the horn contact/neutral switch slide up the shaft because that wire/brass contact at the top of the column seems looser than it should be...