News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 No booster,Do I need one

Started by 60eldo, September 09, 2016, 09:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

On my 57 I have a master cyl but no booster on the firewall,,,Do I need one? Is it missing
Jon. Klu

austingta

Without a brake booster, you cannot have power brakes. Can you post a pic?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Johnny,

All '57s had power brakes. The master cylinder was under the driver's side floor board and was plumbed to the booster on the driver side cowl. Sounds like you have DIY installation......Does not sound safe to drive on the streets.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Walter Youshock

You should definitely get one.  These cars need all the help they can get to stop.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

60eldo

Good morning,,,In the 57 shop manuel, page 8-7, I see a pic there showing no booster, just a master to a power brake box, this looks like what I have,,is this correct
Jon. Klu

J. Gomez

Johnny,

On the ’57 there is no traditional power brake booster per say, it has the brake assistor power unit also known as a Hydravac.

It is a separate unit from the M/C which traditionally the M/C is mounted on the power booster.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gary griffin

I have not tried it out much yet but I had my Hydravac booster rebuilt before I even drove the car. I understand it was a one year only device and only one guy specializing in rebuilding them. Should be easy to get one from a salvage yard and rebuilt it for great (As great as drum brakes can be) ride.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver