News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

European shipping

Started by russ austin, September 11, 2016, 11:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ austin

I'm looking for any info on companies or business's that ship containers to Europe.

Yes, UPS, Fed Ex, and the others.  But, I had info that I misplaced, on a fellow who ships containers to Europe. You send him the parts, and he ships the container to Europe.

I need to ship a 60 lb package to Greece, and shipping is 650.00 bucks, yikes!
R.Austin

Jay Friedman

I know this will cause some people to laugh, but why don't you consider the US Post Office.  I recently mailed a box of car parts to France weighing about 15 lbs and measuring about 18 inches all around. The cost was about $65 and it arrived about 10 days later in good shape.  I have no idea what your shipment would cost, but if you go to www.usps.com, you enter the weight and the box's dimensions and get an estimate of the cost. 

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

russ austin

They are an option, but they also charge a lot due to the weight.
R.Austin

Jason Edge

I have to agree with Jay that the US Postal Service is often a great source for shipping to Europe and abroad. They are often much less than UPS, Fed Ex, and other big name shippers and I use them all the time to ship abroad. I usually have several packages each week going to any number of European Countries. The one thing you have to keep in mind is the do usually have weight limits (often 70 lbs) and length and size limits (varies by country).

Since I have customers address on file I did some spot checking to 3 countries I seem to be shipping to often: Denmark, France, and the Netherlands.  Here is MY COST to these countries for 60 lb package:

Denmark:      6 to 10 day Priority $192.66, 3 to 5 day Express - $275.60
France:         6 to 10 day Priority $191.90, 3 to 5 day Express - $240.68
Netherlands: 6 to 10 day Priority $180.98, 3 to 5 day Express - $241.78

In terms of my customers I will round up about 5% to 8% to cover PayPal fees, shipping materials, etc. For example to Denmark my total s/h cost would be $205 for International Priority or $290 for International Express.
While that is still a good chunk of change, you are still talking about shipping 60 lb across the Atlantic, not to mention the final cost is less than 1/2 the $650 price with 5 day delivery or less than 1/3 the $650 with the 9 day delivery.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Lucas Feininger #15674

If you're going to ship internationally (including Canada) you MUST complete proper customs forms or the shipment may well be refused.
USPS seems to have the most user-friendly customs forms of the major shippers.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Jason Edge

Lucas, filling in the customs part shipping USPS adds no more than a couple minutes on anything I have ever shipped abroad.. As you indicated it is very user friendly.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

russ austin

Yes to everything said, but there is a shipping service or 2 out there where you ship items to a collection point in the states, and they load everything up into a container and ship the container across the pond.
R.Austin

Jason Edge

When I started shipping parts 20 years ago, US Postal offered surface/ground shipping abroad that were transported on cargo ships, at a reduced rate. It would usually take several weeks for delivery, however, for anyone not in a hurry and on a tight budget it was a great option. Not sure exactly when they dropped that service... maybe 10 years or so ago? I have also shipped to individuals that were preparing cargo shipments to US destinations, but that was usually tied in with some other large cargo shipment they had already arranged. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

76eldo

You can do the shipment online through the post office website and it's cheaper than going in to the post office.

You print out a label and a scan sheet with a bar code and drop it off at the post office at a service window.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

russ austin

Guys,  I get that I can use the on line USPS.com  I have been using it for years now.
What I am after is a service that collects mail in the states, and ships to overseas.
There is a service just like I described for Germany, but they only do Germany.
R.Austin

Jason Edge

I rarely go to the PO unless it is a special request. I print the postage at the reduced online rate and leave for postman to pickup at home. If customer is in an extreme hurry, I will suggest the more expensive 1 day U.S. Express or 3-5 day International Express option.  If my postman has already picked up for the day (usually by 10:30am) and customer still wants to shave an extra day off ship time and have package go out that day, I will offer to stop what I'm doing and make the 2 mile - 15 minute trip to PO for an extra $20.  Most customers are very comfortable with 2-3 day Priority but you would be surprised how many have to have it go out that day and take me up on the "take to PO" offer.
The other point is when you take a package to PO with postage label already on package you can skip the line and take straight to counter. They usually have a place designated for already labeled packages.  Bottom line is I am rarely in PO for more than one minute!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Ok, I had another special "gotta have it shipped out today Andrew Jackson specials" today, and did my special PO run for a customer and timed my time in the PO and have to admit I previously stretched the truth!  With the pre-labeled package, I walked past a dosen people in line, placed  package on counter and walked out taking all of 20 seconds ... Not the one minute I had previously posted.  You ship stuff for 20 years you learn a few tricks.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

willits

Russ,

I have used IQ Global several times for shipping larger parts to Prague.   Their web site is: www.iqglobal.com.  The do consolidated container shipments.   It takes between 3 to 6 weeks to get to Prague from the west coast, a little less from the east coast.   They charge a minimum for around 45 cubic feet of space regardless of how big the package is, and the weight never been a factor for the stuff I sent.   The last I did was a ’61 transmission from NC Prague and it was around $275.  There was another $100 of unloading fees for documents charged locally. 

It might be too big for your 60 lb package, but better than $650. 

Peter

Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

russ austin

Thanks Peter. Thats what I was looking for.
R.Austin