News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"74 ELDO front wheel bearings

Started by Viator Trudeau, September 12, 2016, 09:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

I will have to replace the front bearings, left side. and ball joints.
Do the two tapered bearings and spacer have to be preloaded?  I need to know more derails on this.

Thanks.  V.Trudeau

TJ Hopland

They are supposed to be sold in sets that include shims that have been pre fit to give the proper pre load so all you have to do is fully press them in and then properly torque the axle nut upon final assembly. 

The process is given in the manual showing several special tools.  There used to be a good youtube video from a GMC RV mechanic showing the process.  After seeing that I decided to take mine to a shop to have done.  I believe the one of the GMC RV places sells the tools.   My shop said they didn't have the specific tools for that specific model but they said they had tools for similar setups that worked well in their equipment.

The front end of these is almost identical to 87+ 4x4 GM trucks.   On the trucks the bearing and hub is a bolt on assembly.   On our cars its all pressed together and you re use the hub.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: TJ Hopland
The front end of these is almost identical to 87+ 4x4 GM trucks.   On the trucks the bearing and hub is a bolt on assembly.   

For the 79 downsized models they went to a bolt in assembly, a big
improvement I would say.  But there was no way to add grease, so
I modified mine with grease fittings.  Lack of grease, or dried out
from age, will kill bearings.  Bruce Roe