News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone know this car and what do these letters refer to please.

Started by Jeepers Creepers, September 13, 2016, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

While I'm waiting for our 64 Fleetwood to finish its half way around the world boat cruise, I've been going over the enormous number of photos we have of it from the seller.
I figure I may as well learn something while I'm waiting.

I'm assuming the following is in reference to the options the car had when new?

On the ID plate, it has ACC: E Y S M K V A

What the hell do they refer to and thanks in advance. 
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

David Greenburg

They are codes for various options (e.g., tinted glass, climate control etc.).  Someone else will probably chime in and decode for you before I get home to my books this evening, but if not, I will follow up.  That is a bunch of letters, so a heavily optioned car.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

ACC = Accessories
E = Easy Eye Glass
Y = 6 Way Power seat
S = Trunk Lock
M = Power Door Locks
K = Climate Control
V = Front Seat Belts
A = Rear Seat Belt

http://www.rrrclc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/19641.pdf

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeepers Creepers

Australia

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Congratulations and welcome to the CLC forum. Please consider full membership in the CLC. The cost will be repaid many times over for the support and expertise here.

Good luck with your 1964 Fleetwood and feel free to post some photos when you can. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

Hey Ralph, thanks for the link to the pdf thingy.

The ID plate says trim code 66 and that is Turquoise Drexel cloth and leather. (Correct)
The ID plate says colour code 12 and is Aspen White. (Correct)

Now, is does have 03D on it as well. What the hell is that?
Could the D represent the 4 year and 03 the month? IE: March 1964 build date. :-\

Oh, sorry about the Aussie spelling too.  ;D

I'm going to put up a couple of photos and I'm hoping someone might recognize the car perhaps.
Once I've got the big ol girl here, I can chase up a lot of stuff myself.
For the moment, I'm bored witless waiting for it to arrive.

I run out to mail box every afternoon to see if the mailman has a Fleetwood in his mail sack..... but no.... he doesn't. 

I'm guessing the car may have been owned by a farmer or a farmer related person.  :-\

Anyone remember seeing this car in their area or neighborhood.

Any help in locating some history on the car would be much appreciated etc.

Car will remain factory stock with no mods done to it whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any info etc...... Kev

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

""""""Now, is does have 03D on it as well. What the hell is that?
Could the D represent the 4 year and 03 the month? IE: March 1964 build date""""""

Found the answer in the link Steve posted.  ;D
Australia

Jason Edge

Hi Kevin and Astrid,
Per info on the 63/64 Cadillac site up top at http://6364cadillac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/body-name-plate for Production Date Code:
2 Digit # indicates month, and letter indicates week of month
For example build date code 03D indicates it was produced in 03 = March, D=4rd week. Since it is a 1964 model year it would have been 4th week of March, 1964.

As an example, my 1964 Coupe de Ville (VIN# 64J102576, 64-6357, Body# 22388) with production date code 03C would have been built the week before yours. I have attached the Build Sheet and you will see it was built March 19, 1964.  Also, note in the attachment there was a Fleetwood built right before mine (VIN# 64M102575, 64-6039, Body# 11102) which is just below your 11624 Fleetwood body #.  I would expect if you order a build sheet for your car, you will find it was built between March 24 & 28, 1964.

While the body # gives the sequential production # for that body style, the VIN # is the primary # identifying your car. It includes an overall sequential production # in the last 6 digits and was stamped on the front frame cross member and lower left side of engine block. For more info on the VIN #'s and pictcures showing where to locate them check out this link:
http://6364cadillac.ning.com/profiles/blogs/bodystyles

Also be sure to join our 1963/64 Cadillac Website and Chapter at www.6364cadillac.com.  For more info on joining, click on www.join.6364cadillac.com
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

m-mman

Regarding the license plate. "FTD973" black & yellow California plates.

It should be noted that in California plates are issued TO THE CAR (not the owner) and STAY WITH THE CAR unless they are lost, damaged or replaced, such as with a personalized plate.

In 1956 with payment of their fees, everyone got new yellow plates with black letters. This change was necessitated by federal laws that all plates needed to be 6 inches by 12 inches in size.

In 1963 with payment of their fees, everyone was issued the 6"x12" black with yellow letter plates.
Calif stopped issuing new metal plates to every motorist with payment of their fees in 1963. (too costly) The black plates would stay with the car until it needed replacement. (lost stolen damaged etc.)

The yellow 1956 plate combinations were numbers followed by letters.
The black 1963 were swapped to show letters followed by numbers.
This allowed one to differentiate between the two series if it were written out.

About 1969 the black plates reached the "Z" combinations and DMV needed to make a new series. About 1970 they began issuing plates blue with yellow letters. These plates returned to the number-letter combinations.

Some people thought the blue plates looked more modern and voluntarily turned in their black and yellow plates for the new blue versions. (or were forced to for some reason) But if you had no reason to do so you could renew and retain your '1963' black plates up to the current day. Pretty amazing to think that a 53 year old license plate could still be current but it can be, and seems to be in your case.

California plates DO NOT describe anything. The combinations DO NOT identify counties, cities or any locale.

In California license plates are stamped at the prison (in alpha numerical order) then placed in boxes and shipped en mass to local department of motor vehicle offices throughout the state who then begin distributing them as needed. The California DMV does NOT have any information about exactly which field office issued any particular plate. Do not bother them by asking.

Because I live in California and have been observing cars for decades I have become familiar with certain combinations. Cars from one area will all happen to have similar combinations because their plates were issued from a local DMV office.

Your 'black' F plates were issued in 63-4 in the central valley of California (the San Joaquin valley). Likely the DMV field office was in the city of Fresno. Other possible cities are Bakersfield, Madera, or Stockton. 

YES, this is an agricultural area, BUT your windshield sticker is related to car insurance that could be purchased by anyone, so the owner may or may not have been involved with farms and farm work.

Because it seems to be such an original car you may receive old registration cards that list the owner's name. If you do have a name, then you can use genealogical resources to learn more about this person.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

That is one of the finest '64 Fleetwoods I've ever seen. All original with 20,000 miles I assume?

V63

You have a few 'extra' options to include:

Tilt steering

Cruise control

Twilight sentinel (first year offered, round sensor on drivers side dash, lower panel switch. Turns your headlights on or off depending on light hitting sensor.

Guide matic (eye moved from dash to Drivers fender)

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 14, 2016, 04:56:03 PM
That is one of the finest '64 Fleetwoods I've ever seen. All original with 20,000 miles I assume?

Yep, and so were the other 100,000 miles.

Believe it or not, it does have 120,000 miles on her.
Original paint and all original leather, however, the Drexel cloth was replaced as it had gone all dry and frayed.
Never been molested and although, while I wasn't looking for a white car......
As soon as I saw the pictures, I feel in love with it. Even now, I have trouble coming to grips with the fact that I own it and its on its way here... for ME... oh, and maybe the wife. ::)

At $14,500 USD, I thought it was a pretty good buy and snapped it up quickly.
I had just sold my boat, so it was all systems go.
The timing of it all is a hoot.

I'm really looking forward to two trips with the car.
1. The Thanksgiving Day All American Cruise we have a few hundred KLM away and....
2. Taking my 93 year old Mum to the family Xmas lunch in it this year. 
Australia

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

76eldo

Beautiful car.  Good luck with it, I hope it arrives safely.

Factory installed Guidematic had the sensor in the front fender tip.  Dealer installed Guidematic had the ray gun on the top of the dash.  Many were dealer installed.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

If that interior is all original on a 120,000 mile car, the condition is incredible to say the least.

76eldo

I'd love to track down the black one that was on here a few years ago owned by the RJ Reynolds family.

I have a soft spot for 64's
My dad bought one new.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

"I'd love to track down the black one that was on here a few years ago owned by the RJ Reynolds family.

I have a soft spot for 64's
My dad bought one new.

Brian"

Was it black with parchment leather and 5,000 miles? (BTW It has 15k on it now  ;D)

76eldo

I thought it was black with red leather.  Maybe there is more than one?
I will try searching the forum.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeepers Creepers

I need to give the timber a once over, especially the front door sections.

Is just a good quality furniture polish the best thing to use?
Australia